2020 Goal - Get a job at Uber - Progress/Accountability Log From The Start

Hey everyone,

My names Mitch. I am 26 years old and I have set out on a big goal for the year 2020. I am determined to get a job as a Front-End developer for Uber or a similar type of big tech company. I will be leaving my 40k/year job completley at the end of February to learn to code full time to make this happen.

A bit about myself. Outside of this goal I have a side Amazon business that will take up some of my time ( to afford expenses). My hobbies include, sports, working out, sports handicapping, poker, meditating, mma, video games, board games, stats and analytics, travel, hanging out with my girlfriend, getting together with friends and reading ( trying to do more of that last one :stuck_out_tongue: ).

Iā€™ve been in the same job for the last 7 years and its time for a change. While there, I have been building up my Amazon business on the side. That being said, my Amazon business can now support me and I am ready to give coding my full efforts in learning as much as I can in a years time and beyond.

I donā€™t want to go overboard with learning and want to make sure I process the content I am learning without rushing through it but it will be treated as a full time endeavour and get between 5-8 hours of my attention daily.

Why coding? My job before had little to no purpose. I want to be able to build, create and help others while making my own ideas come to life.

Why Uber? Besides the obvious upgrade in pay it would than mean I would be able to code all day, all the time, for my main jobā€¦while getting paid. This will give me a chance to start to learn more Back-End development with the Front-End development being my ticket in. It doesnā€™t have to be Uber. Its more just to put a name on the goal opposed to saying I want to be ā€˜xā€™ good at coding at the end of this year. My end goal is to break out from the job market down the line to work solely on my own projects with my own team.

I wanted to create this thread to mainly hold myself accountable along the way. I will be positng in it everyday with what Iā€™ve completed for the day. This should keep me on top of things and give me a place to look back on how far Iā€™ve came if Iā€™m ever feeling discouraged at any point.

First Steps:

1.) Complete " Responsive Web Design Certification "
2.) Complete " JavaScript Algorithms and Data Structures Certification "
3 ) Complee ā€œFront End Libraries Certificationā€
4) Start doing side projects - Web design projects for $
5) Continue to learn and develop my Javascript skills
6) Start to learn React
7) Put it all together with HTML, CSS, Javascript and React

( The above is not set in stone, just a starting point )

Thanks FCC for all the content! Talk soon!

3 Likes

Day 1 ( Jan 14th ) :

- STARTED RESPONSIVE WEB DESIGN CERT -

• Completed ā€œBasic HTML and HTML 5ā€ module - 28/28 :white_check_mark:
  • Completed ā€œBasic CSSā€ module - 44/44 :white_check_mark:
  • 75% of the way through ā€œApplied Visual Designā€ - 39/52 :soon:

Time Spent Coding: 5 HRS

Tomorrowā€™s Goals:

• Finish Applied Visual Design
  • Finish Applied Accessibility
  • Code for minimum 4 hrs

Question,ā€¦ is there anyway to see expected timeframe to finish each module? I see the 300hours for the full course but nothing for individual modules within the main certs. Just as a way for me to plan for the following day on what I can expect to get done. I guess its dependant on the user and how quick they want to progress.

Anyways, report back tomorrow.

3 Likes

Question,ā€¦ is there anyway to see expected timeframe to finish each module? I see the 300hours for the full course but nothing for individual modules within the main certs. Just as a way for me to plan for the following day on what I can expect to get done. I guess its dependant on the user and how quick they want to progress.
Excatlly right the 300hours is just a rough estimate. It really depence onto the user since everybody is diffrend bla bla

the expected time frame is a few hours in the various sections - depending on past experience and how easy you understand things and how easy you remember things/you research things
then most time will be spent on the projects

Thanks for the replies @ilenia and @KittyKora.

Day 2 ( Jan 15th ) :

- CONTINUING RESPONSIVE WEB DESIGN CERT -

• Completed ā€œApplied Visual Designā€ - 52/52 :white_check_mark:
  • Completed ā€œApplied Accessibilityā€ - 22/22 :white_check_mark:

Time Spent Coding: 3 HRS

( I worked my main job today - felt lazy but made sure I got some coding in. Tomorrow is a day off work so Iā€™ll be coding for most of the day. )

Total Coding Hours (Jan 14th, 2020 - Present) : 8 HRS

Tomorrowā€™s Goals:

• Finish Responsive Web Design Principals
  • Finish CSS Flexbox
  • Finish CSS Grid
  • Start a Responsive Web Design Project
  • Code for minimum 6 hrs

Talk tomorrow.

1 Like

I did just want to point out that there is such a thing as quality over quantity when it comes to time spent coding and learning. Iā€™d say donā€™t push it too hard or you may burn out or just not get as much out of it as you think you are. And remember to take breaks, itā€™s important.

Good luck and happy coding.

1 Like

whatā€™s your goal for rest and relax?
time spent doing nothing so your brain has time to recharge?
like really empty time, not distracted time
walking maybe, playing (like ping pong, football, tabletop gamesā€¦)
quality time with people

this is as if not more important

1 Like

Thanks again for the replies guys. I didnā€™t get as much done today as I wanted too. In spare time I meditate, hit the gym or go for walks to let my mind recharge.

I finished the flexbox section today but I think I need to spend some more time on it to really understand it and how objects can be moved with it.

Tomorrow I will be working on watching some more tutorials on that and getting to the CSS grid section and starting the projects.

Time spent coding: 1.5 hours

I will do a more in depth update after tomorrowā€™s session.

1 Like

Keep it going!
Flexbox is my personal go to when it comes to CSS display. This helps learn the basics: https://flexboxfroggy.com/

1 Like

Thanks for that pjonp!

Update I am done the first 2 web design projects and doing the last 2 today.

2 Likes

Hey everyone, just to update on this. I still have been working away coding.

I will have a more firm update in a week or two.

Happy coding!

So just to give a quick update I am now moving on to Javascript. Future projects will implement Javascript in my Front End Development design.

Finished 50% of Javascript basic on FCC tonight.

My HTML/CSS/SASS has come along nicely. I will still be creating a couple websites a week to stay fresh while I learn Javascript.

1 Like

Here is a Mario racing game I made with just HTML/CSS. You will need a certain screen resolution as its not mobile friendly though. Specs down below.

LINK: https://dobs1993.github.io/dobs1993.github-io/

FOR BEST VIEWING EXPERIENCE -
Screen Width: 1366 pixels
Screen Height: 768 pixels

My screen resolution which made the transitions from page to page and grabbing the power ups flawless and in sync are above The site hasnā€™t been modified or adjusted to other screen sizes or devices. So the power ups donā€™t look very smooth or in line at all on other screen sizes. The player icons may not even be in line with the track on most devicesā€¦so keep in mind.

I have been doing little projects like these as well as a lot of website creation and getting used to all things HTML/CSS/SASS. Now JavaScript will be added in as well.

Here is another project. The goal was to create a website clone of one of my favorite teachers outside of FCC. Brad Traversy. He produces great content and I liked the look of his site, so I decided to clone his website and to not look at any of his source code. Here is where Iā€™m at. Remember no media queries added so far. Some other things I havenā€™t learned yet like some of the Javascript on his original page. Lastly the images arenā€™t optimized for site speed.

HIS SITE : https://www.traversymedia.com/
MY CLONE: https://loving-borg-f482ab.netlify.app/

TIME SPENT: 11HRS

Hey guys, just a quick post. Did up the Youtube Nav bar and made it responsive over the last couple hours. Iā€™m sure this would take some of you literally 10mins lol but I just wanted to post and gather some pointers for next time. It should be fully responsive as well.

LINK: https://heuristic-wozniak-edb4df.netlify.app/#

1 Like

Hey guys,

Update: Still working away. Learning Javascript and getting a better hang of things every single day.

Just made a simple progress bar as I heard it was an interview question one might get.

See everyone down the line.

1 Like

Hey Dobs,

keep up the good work!

Let us know if you want some feedback.

2 Likes

Hey Miku86,

Thanks for the reply. I am good right now. I will keep posting the projects in this thread and if you ever see anything that seems like it could use work let me know.

Thanks for looking out!

My latest project I made is a simple counter.

Check it out here: https://codepen.io/dobs93/pen/vYLqwgN

Github: https://github.com/dobs1993/Counter

My latest project I made is an etch-a-sketch. I did use a tutorial for some parts as Iā€™m not to familiar with canvas and its methods available but I went ahead and coded most of the project myself and changed up the way the project was written using switch statements when the tutorial used other methods.

Check it out here: https://codepen.io/dobs93/pen/GRobbZy

Github: https://github.com/dobs1993/Etch-A-Sketch

1 Like