33 yo, from no webdev experience to full-stack developer in 4 months thanks to FCC

Absolutely amazing!!! And awesome of you to share your experiences and resources as well. Very inspiring and I love your tenacity!!!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your experience and thank you for your motivation. I really missed this.

1 Like

congratulations for your new job & thanks for sharing resources you used during your journey.
it looks like you really worked very hard.very very motivating
thanks

1 Like

Congrats mate! truly inspiring one!

1 Like

Congrats and amazing writeup , the first post that i have bookmarked on FCC. :ok_hand:

1 Like

Thanks for this inspiring story! How far along the FCC curriculum did you finish?

1 Like

Heya! I completed the first 3 sections, then I proceeded following Brad’s course and building a bunch of personal projects. I only got the 2nd certificate (Js) because one evening I felt like doing some algos. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks everyone for the kind comments, I really appreciate them.

1 Like

Wow amazing story. I want to ask,how hard will it be for me to land a developer job in Germany?I have a bachelors degree in electronics from India. How should I build my portfolio? I am specializing in JavaScript and related frameworks and libraries.

1 Like

Honestly I have no idea, but questions like yours get asked from time to time by fellow indians on r/cscareerquestionsEU – check the replies in this thread for example, or ask away yourself. Since you happen to have a degree in electronics I’d focus on embedded sw if I were you, afaik Germany has a lot of job opportunities in this field. Good luck!

Congratulations on your job, and thank you for your motivational story!

I was using Duolingo and a couple of grammar books, so all self-taught as usual. The main sprint was during my “vacation” days in August, which I spent home studying it non-stop. It was quite easy for me to get the gist of it since all romance languages are very close.

1 Like

@apgfcc thanks a lot for sharing. This is useful and inspiring.

1 Like

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for Sharing man!!! Really cool!!

Greart story.Tell some more about your relationships!

1 Like

What an amazing and inspiring story! After reading this, I actually feel like I can become a software developer if I just continue going through FCC’s curriculum. I have moments of overthinking, self-doubt, and procrastination, so it’s nice to read this and feel confident and inspired to do this. Thank you so much! And thank you for sharing all of the free resources and starting points. That will truly be helpful too.

1 Like
  • Take job requirements for what they are: your employer’s wishlist. In particular:
    – “Requires 2 or more years of experience” means “no experience required”. Apply.
    – “Requires degree in CS or related field” means “no CS degree required”. Apply.
    – “We’re looking for mid-senior devs” means “eh, maybe a junior would do too”. Read the 3rd point again, then apply. That’s how I got my job.

This part of your article alone is worth the time reading your inspirational article. Thank you so much. I’m gonna apply for a job now even though I haven’t done 80% of what you’ve done. I’ll let you know the results. Wish me luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

@apgfcc my email.<redacted>
Thanks for your post. I am beginner. Please send me some advice. Please give me some advice by email. About your learning experience. I really need your help!

Thank you so much to write this incredible post.

1 Like

@apgfcc I have a question. If I don t have IT studies and I also haven t worked in this field, what should I put as experience on LinkedIn or my resume? Should I also include my previous experience, which is totally unrelated to webdev? If I wouldn t include anything on my LinkedIn or resume both would be empty.

I have some demo projects I included them in my resume and LinkedIn but should I also put these projects as “working” experience even tho they are for my portfolio and not “real” experience ? Also Could you show us your 2 projects on web development you used for applications ? I applied until now but without any success I have some demo apps with CRUD functionality in React but they re not full web pages so recently I created a nice looking landing page without functionality since I believe they are looking for good looking designs.

I m also thinking to create another nice looking landing page and maybe after see where I can add functionality so it a bit more complete, the thing is I don t have ideas about the landing page what should be about so it has room for improvements (adding React functionality maybe). I saw some people saying about creating clones (ex: spotify clone). Don t really know what to build next so I can impress employers. You said that you applied everywhere in Europe. I also searched for jobs on LinkedIn not only in my country but I saw that for other countries you kinda need to live in there already.