60 days later... I still can't work by myself

60 days later... I still can't work by myself

Hey guys!

I’ve been studying for 60 days, everyday now. I’ve just started the FCC Curriculum and, well, since I had previous study, I’m finding it easy in the beginning (just for now, I’m sure).

Problem is - on a perspective of STUDYING I don’t have any troubles! I can understand and make all the exercises and projects in all the courses I enroll.

HOWEVER (and it’s a big however) I just can’t find it in myself to start projects on my own! I’ve done a big tribute page as practice and posted in the Projects forum here and people were really supportive, saying it was really good. But I want to start a new one and I just can’t. I feel like I’m blocked and I feel like I really should have some practice instead of just study and never actually code.

Do you guys feel alike? Have you ever felt like this? What have you done to change it?

I’m afraid I will become like a person that studies French for years, has really good grades on the French tests, but just can’t speak French…

You are definitely not crazy. Studying, reading docs, doing guided tutorials is a very comfortable space to be in. Many people get stuck doing them over and over again, that what some people call “tutorial hell”.

I think my first and the most obvious advice would be to stick with the FCC curriculum. It will push you into building projects with a good on ramp to complexity and that way you will learn way more than reading up tutorials.

Second idea would be to join a group of people who do programming and work on projects. You can try and find them in local meetups and especially FreeCodeCamp meetups. You could start up a group project, collaborate and build something together. https://chingu.io/ Does exactly that but all remote. Being in a group with people you will feel pressure to do things and you will have no way “out” :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for recomending me Chingu! This is exactly what I’m looking for here! I really hope they accept me for the next Voyage!

Great!

I am currently participating in their Voyage, happy to share my experiences. But I do highly recommend it !

I’m not language expert, but if you were dropped into France for 2 years, odds are you will probably figure out French faster than if you spent 2 years studying French.

Same applies to development, it’s one thing to “study” code, it’s a whole other thing to go out and code. You need to use what you learn to make it stick, and fall over yourself while doing as sch to gain experience Experience is not gained by studying, its by jumping into the trenches and tackling the problems head on. You gain experience when you fail, and get stuck, and stuggle.

The best way to gain that experience is to just jump in. Build a portfolio page with new features/techiques you never tried before. Doing tutorials will expand your horizons, but you should still go out and “learn” the content by going over it yourself. The one thing that isn’t good about most tutorials and guides is you end doing something without experiencing failure, that’s what should be learned and focused on, and will be dead center if you go out and code yourself.

I personally learn the most by going and doing. I’ll pick a side project that starts in something I already know, and then try to add in and learn what I want to learn. If your just starting out, starting simple (like a portfolio) is great, but that’s just a starting point where you can go out and add jquery+javascript+CSS, and keep building upon that framework.

Build build build, and keep challenging yourself while you build, you will run into issues and you will fall flat on your face, but how you get back up and overcome the issues is the key to gaining experience

Goodluck and keep developing :smile:

Yeah Brad, you are right! That’s what I need to do! I’m can’t stand anymore to just study, it has got to a point where I feel I’m not learning anything anymore.

I will certainly start new projects these week! I will do it This forum is filled with cool and wise people like you who are contribuing to my improvement!

Hey Lucas,

I was doing the same thing as you did. Just “study” for a long extended period of time and not “work/build” anything. I followed the FCC curriculum, and found that it has way to much information prior to getting to the projects. So when I finally gotten to the projects part of each section, I felt like I had already forgotten everything because there was so much information that was covered. I would had to go back and re-learn again making me feel like I didn’t learn anything, but in reality it didn’t stick because i didn’t use what I learned.

All in all, I would definitely recommend building something/improving past projects as you learn new concepts. Else like others have said, you get stuck in a tutorial hell.

Hope this is some good insight!