Account has reset everything to nothing?

a little bit of help,

so i reset my Firefox, and when I had to login I forgot my password. So I requested a password reset, which went fine. After that, I realized I was back to the start. and everything is reset. Help, I am freaking out!

NOTE: my profile shows the things are done, but the code and those reassuring ticks are not there, also the count is back to one!

I know FCC stores the actual code you wrote for the challenge only in your local cache… But if the challenge has been completed, the status of each individual challenge should not change.

1 Like

Yes, the data in the map are stored in the browser, but you should be able to access the code you wrote by hitting the number in brackets in the upper right corner. Your progress shouldn’t be dependent on the browser.

1 Like

If your score has reset to 1, I’m afraid you have stumbled across a known bug - it’s very rare, but that’s not much comfort when you’re the 1 in 1000 that found it :frowning:

The team is working on it.

1 Like

that’s just what happened. I don’t wanna go back and redo everything. I am on basic algorithm challenges. should I just continue?

Thank you for your response.

but the accumulated exercise score has reset to 1.

Sorry, I don’t know much about that side of things. Jackson seems to know what is going on.

This is a reminder to save your code. It would be a good idea to save everything locally and/or to github. But of course that doesn’t help you right now…

I guess I would point out you don’t have to do everything on the map, just things marked with an asterisk - those are the only ones that really matter.

1 Like

thank you again. how do you mean save to github?

There are two different types of saved progress for Free Code Camp: your profile and your browser cache.

Your completed challenges are all saved to your account in the FCC database. You can see the list of completed challenges and also the last submitted solutions by looking at your profile page.

If your profile does not include your completed challenges, here is my troubleshooting advice:

1. Double check that you used the same method to sign in. Try logging out and back in again with the original method. Attempting to sign in with a different method will sometimes create a duplicate account. (FCC is taking steps to prevent this from happening in the future.)
  2. Double check that you aren’t on the beta site now and that you didn’t create your original account on the beta site by accident. (Yes, this does happen.)

Your progress tracking (map) is saved in your browser’s local storage. In-progress code is also saved in your local browser cache. If you are changing browsers or clearing your cache regularly you’ll have to use freecodecamp.com/map to navigate to your next challenge. Especially as you get to more complicated challenges that may take multiple sessions, I strongly recommend saving your in-progress work outside of the browser cache. This is a good opportunity to learn the ins and outs of your GitHub account, but you can also just save locally or use a service like repl.it which allows for versioning.

1 Like

Just an update I just realized your post said only the count was reset to one. In this case the best thing you can do is contact team@freecodecamp.org via email and see if they can investigate and fix your count. Happy coding :slight_smile:

I notice how I do a challenge, it says I pass. Then when I go back to it less a dya or even a minute later, it’s deleted. I don’t know if this is common issue.

We’d like to know about these issues when they happen. Please email our team at team@freecodecamp.org so we can investigate, document the issue, provide a fix to prevent this from happening in the future.