Advanced Node and Express - Set up the Environment SET UP

Tell us what’s happening:
Unless I missed something, this challenge switches to a new Boilerplate without any warning.

There were no instructions or warnings to switch to new template.

If anyone else gets stuck here, click the Glitch/Github link on the challenge and repeat a few of the steps from the previous challenges for set up:

• set up a new Github app with redirects to your new project, to get new keys

• create a new .env file with SESSION_SECRET, DATABASE, GITHUB_CLIENT_ID, GITHUB_CLIENT_SECRET (with new Github keys)

• Update the callback link in auth.js to match your project

• Fix email in auth.js for Github strategy; email: profile.email, seems to work for me.

• Also needed to add cors to get the tests to run correctly: [Done] Advanced Node and Express - Set up the Environment

Hope this helps if you got stuck here.

Your code so far

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/77.0.3865.120 Safari/537.36.

Challenge: Advanced Node and Express - Set up the Environment

Link to the challenge:
https://www.freecodecamp.org/learn/information-security-and-quality-assurance/advanced-node-and-express/set-up-the-environment

6 Likes

Thank you for helping make FCC better. Bugs can be reported as GitHub Issues. Whenever reporting a bug, please check first that there isn’t already an issue for it and provide as much detail as possible.

1 Like

Thanks a million! I applied these steps and all worked… except a Mongodb error.

I was also getting a not authorized on admin to execute command, so I updated my MongoDb to a newer version. I made changes in package.json, server.js, and .env. Afterwards, I started getting a deprecation warning on findAndModify, but I was able to ignore it for now.

package.json

"mongodb": "^3.5.2",

server.js

mongo.connect(process.env.DATABASE, { useUnifiedTopology: true }, (err, client) => {

if(err) console.log('Database error: ' + err);

const db = client.db(process.env.DB_NAME);

auth(app, db);
    routes(app, db);

.env

DB_NAME=fcc_test
1 Like