After FCC bootcamp is it good choice?

Is it a good choice to go to DevMountain to further polish my coding skills after completing front end portion of the fcc? Since I don’t see many camper here discuss this topic, I want to share and get your output on this. Thank you.

At this point(took a few Udemy classes and completed front end portion of fcc), I don’t think I am job ready and I found myself in the middle of dilemma. I am not sure if I should keep unlocking back end portion of fcc or should go to a coding bootcamp like DevMountain to accelerate my learning?

If I keep on learning on FCC, I know I will be learning as much as I can get at a slow pace and probably making terrible mistakes here and there without even realizing it.

However having to pay 15k after I have already gone through 4 years college( not CS degree) makes me hesitate. I will probably learning things a lot faster and I can get pair programming experiences and some comradeship and more advance js framework like Angular and React. However I am so afraid that what if I finished the coding bootcamp but I can’t find a developer job…

1 Like

This is a common question here with lots of related topics already on the forum:

I would advise you to save your money. Bootcamps aren’t necessarily bad, but if you’re just looking for a social coding experience, it would be a lot cheaper to organize a code meetup in your area. Do problems on Hackerrank or Codefights in groups. Go through Cracking the Coding Interview by chapter. Complete a project together. Find people online to study with if there aren’t coders in your area. You don’t need to spend thousands of dollars to get the bootcamp experience.

1 Like

@portablestick 's advice is solid. You can still get the pairing effect to accelerate your learning than what you can get from a coding bootcamp.

On the other hand, if you were in the same position as I was when I was deciding on a coding bootcamp, I was looking for key values:

1. How good is their career services? How well respected and connected was the coding bootcamp with the companies in your city?

2. Are there any scholarships or grants being offered?

If you got someone else paying for at least 75% of the tuition and that bootcamp has a rock solid network in your city then, by all means, go for it. When I attended, I got the best opportunity spending 14 weeks with a seasoned instructor for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week who was grooming me into becoming an entry-level developer who had an edge over the rest of his talent pool.

Takeaway: Get someone else to pay for it and make sure the value of them getting you a job is better than the technical portion

2 Likes

Thank you for your output. I strongly agree that career service and how well connected the boot camp is with its employer partners is important factor and that is why I am still hesitated.

Can you tell how well is the career service and levels of job supports you were able to receive from your boot camp ? Will it matter if the job is in your local city? Because I don’t mind going places.

The only local boot camp I can go is US DAVIC I can’t find many good infomation about it, I will either pick a completely online bootcamp or go to a boot camp offers free housing. I was thinking about going to Thinkful because they offers ISA which only asked you to pay if I found a job after but I don’t know my chance of getting in…

Thank you for your advice.

My choice of bootcamp if I were going to go to one, would be largely based on if they had a network of employers, I can learn coding skills from just about any program, the hard part is getting connections with other humans to get a developer job, from what I hear many bootcamps do a good job at this.