All my projects design are garbage

Nope - and in my experience - those who don’t do back end think everything can be done quickly and easily - i’m trying to build a ‘keg tracking’ app in rails for my job (on my own time even) and they just think it’s lickety split and hell I’m still learning stuff :slight_smile: The front end is non existent - i’m still building functionality via TDD and learning the fun of working with GMT/UTC and other things. I started FCC cause I decided this was the best way to get me thinking about front end / UI stuff

Where I worked backend folks didn’t speak to clients. They often lacked the communication skills. But I do know owners and sales reps never understood the development time involved. I’ll give you that one. And Good Luck.

So you worked at the company from office space? Developers are not dysfunctional non communicative people - it’s a pretty tired stereotype - and when you’re working on your own - you’re all jobs

Yes, I worked for a web development company (small) for six years doing web design. Two out of four programmers where unfit to speak to clients and one of those two really shouldn’t have been speaking to staff either (anger issues). The other two programmers had great communication skills. But most definitely our head programmer was not allowed to speak to clients. It wasn’t a stereotype, it was reality.

So - 2 of 4 and we have a stereotype

That’s cool

A website or app that works well and is easy enough for the audience you seek Is 100 times better than a sleek design that is difficult to use. Your happy patrons will be back for more of Your designs.

1 Like

Off-topic
Heya Lisa!! Great to see you join the FCC community! I was at the future full-stacks meetup about a month ago!

Hi John, Yes, I had a look see at FCC based upon your recommendation and I like what I see. Working up to your weather project soon. Hope all is well with you.

1 Like

PS, it’s no substitute for developing your own design sense, but I’m growing to love Materialize more every day, for those “I want it to look presentable without writing a single line of CSS” days. It’s not so much that it looks better than Bootstrap, or has more features, it’s that it takes fewer lines of code to get there. If you’re comfortable adopting the Material Design aesthetic wholesale, you have something acceptable with very little effort–here’s what I just finished, with only one line of CSS for a little teeny background color: http://codepen.io/AbdiViklas/full/VjdXOm/ . And you can still customize it, as their showcase shows.

Seriously, the best thing you can probably do to develop “design sense” is spend some hours staring at galleries like that one (or Bootstrap’s) that show what is generally agreed on as attractive sites. And keep in mind that design is about function as well as form, and that some sites have more need to be functional (Amazon) than beautiful, and vice versa (movie promo site).

@endzon I think that by practice and making a few basics rules you can improve your designs a lot. I am vlogging about my way to learn to code. Last week was the week in which I focused on design and making projects from scratch, you may want to have a look : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLhF1w9rxRM
In this video description you will find a lot of extra links for learning design, especially UX design.
Plus here is another FCC forum thread that you may also find useful: http://forum.freecodecamp.com/t/what-resources-do-you-use-to-learn-ux/347