Am I ready to Apply for jobs? (Fixed up portfolio)

Well, about two months ago I thought I was ready with my collection of small projects and a basic portfolio to head out and hit the job hunt hard…

Here is a glimpse of the results.

almost 150 Applications and not a single (I know an email says interview it was nonsense) interview.

I’ve called companies
I’ve reached out to recruiters
I’ve gone to meet-ups
I’ve reworked my resume multiple times
I’ve applied to jobs I’m not qualified

I’ve fixed a lot of stuff since the last round…
Will see how this one goes, pretty sure I’m running out of places to apply

This turned into a mild rant but anyways here’s my updated portfolio
I implemented some changes that other fcc suggested.

HamzahAmer.com

4 Likes

Hey Hamza,
I think you should work a bit towards design in your portfolio demos. I don’t want to sound harsh but I did not like the designs. There are some nifty little things here and there you can do that will make it more appealing. Try to make a point with the demo projects i.e, you can incorporate new trends/implementations of components like nav bars, butttons, etc .
I would say that your portfolio home page is pretty neatly laid out.
I hope these suggestions will help you.
Best of Luck.
:slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I personally like the simple look but would like to know if there are any good places on to learn to make better web designs? I really would like to see some tutorials on nontraditional scrolling

1 Like

I like your page but why use so many divs and not html5 tags?

1 Like

I’m not sure, I’ve never been asked this. I’ve always gotten the desired structure I wanted in my mark up so I never changed it.

1 Like

Not criticizing I’m new and just curious why people do things a certain way. Still trying to find my style. :grinning:

2 Likes

Ah okay, that makes more sense I was confused lol. Most of your markup will be divs, it’s the most commonly used tag. I could probably get away with using more HTML5 tags but the only difference it would make would be readability(screen readers and SEO stuff) , nothing more.

2 Likes

You need more diverse projects for your portfolio. I can tell from looking at your portfolio that you know how to make static pages…which is great but try to create some projects that dive into your other skill sets

Also I’ve been told by a friend of a friend that their company only hires people with a tech blog, so maybe consider starting one. The friend said their employer didn’t care about what the tech blogs were about, but rather, they wanted to know that the potential employee lived, ate, and breathed programming

2 Likes

I didn’t think they were static… the first has a blog that can be updated by the user and is stored in a database, it’s also connected to a crypto API that auto updates current crypto stock prices.

The second project lets you create an account and log in and inside of it is a working chatroom.

What kind of projects do you recommend I make instead?

A tech blog would be really fun to make actually, I’ve always wanted a blog anyways.

1 Like

@Heyrio I think you are ready for the job search. However, I would not worry about it so much unless you have no job at all. In the meantime, what you can do is find someone or some company that has a business need and do a project for them. Volunteer to do a project so you can get an idea of what it is like to work with others. If you enjoy Web Development just keep making projects so you get better and better.

2 Likes

Appreciate the kind words, thanks, man.

1 Like

damn ur portfolio look clean af tho… and yet nobody wants you? man i guess its harder than i thought…

1 Like

may i know how long you been studying/how many hours u put into web development to get this far? and im presuming u completed fcc course

1 Like

The major issue I see is that I do not know what each project is doing which you’ve already outlined on your resume. And also i see you’re more into front end which is fine but clarify that.

I have no major hangups with the design, especially if you’re meant to be a front end developer rather than web designer, however consider describing what each project is doing, the tech stacks used, and also how you intend to expand upon it.

Lastly on your codepen, remove the pen that says “I guess” and make it presentation worthy.

You do have potential, but you need some presentation updates which frankly is very easy.

1 Like

Thanks, I just figured no one would be looking at my portfolio unless they saw my resume first so it would be redundant.

I’ll make some more changes

1 Like

It’s deff harder, I seriously doubt people are finding meaningful employment with a task app or a JavaScript calculator in their portfolio.

The employers seem to want full stack commercial projects even if your only applying for a jr. role…

1 Like

I personally would be suspicious of this companies culture.

1 Like

Good to know. I’m just taking his word on that’s how it is so it’s good to hear that’s not the norm if it’s true

1 Like

about 6 months hours I spend coding vary form 8 hours a day to maybe an hour. Honestly I didn’t learn with FCC, I just love the forums here.

1 Like

Good to know lol I’m roughly a month in and only completed like 300 challenges out of the 1400+ im slow af…

1 Like