Am I too old for this

I’m just a old retired truck driver, who would like something interesting to do. Like this, I will make my own website and maintain it myself. I’m 68 is that to old? Far be it from me to be a drain of peoples resources.
Thankyou Cad

5 Likes

anytime never too old to do interesting thing. You’ll did great job!

1 Like

Too old to get hired? Yes.
Too old to start something interesting and maybe a side gig? No.
Who cares. Do what you want, learn what you want.

If I were you… this is how I would approach this:

I’m pretty sure you’ve led an interesting life with lots of stories. And the trucking community is a nice tight community. Right there, you have your audience. You can capitalize on your life’s experience about being a truck driver and write about this on your website… honest gadget reviews you’ve owned and used, tools, tech, places, etc. Funny stories, reflections, etc. Start a forum/community so other drivers can exchange stories, post questions, answer question, etc.

Then post ads and product links on your site that align and resonate with your audience, earn a bit of commission from product sales, or advertising clicks (like Amazon affiliate, Google Ads, eBay referrals, etc, heck maybe even sponsored post by a company that markets to truck drivers or trucking companies). Build up an audience and you can earn a few dollars, maybe a few hundred to hopefully a few thousands on monthly revenue.

Anyway, just some ideas. Good luck!

4 Likes

Not too old. You’ll get back from software/web development however much you can put into it.

1 Like

Too old at 68? I maintain a website for a non-profit I belong to. I’ve been doing it for a long time and the code is way obsolete, so I attempt updating it now and then with newer techniques. I have to go back and learn/relearn a lot in the process, picking up new language features, relearning JavaScript and php after letting them sit on the back burner for a while, figuring out how to do something a different, better way. It keeps my mind sharp. I’ll be 81 in July.

9 Likes

Hell No
You are in no way to old to learn coding.
If you can bring value assed to a company they be crazy not to hire you.
Can’t an old dog learn some new tricks ? Heck yes bet they can. It just takes more time and, thats fine.

1 Like

Little word which means so much !
How do you perceive that ? What does it mean to you “be old” ? It is related to some “negative” feelings like be a drain for others, too late to learn something new, too used,…

Old can also mean full of experiences (to share with others) or long thinking process on something :slight_smile:

Have fun with your project building and new field discovering

1 Like

I, myself feel that I’m too old to start learning something new. But, than again if I go ahead with what I feel and how I feel about myself, I’ll just be here sitting in front of the screen wondering… “Do I got what it takes to learn coding or am I too old” I say “Who Cares_Just Do It!”

De Enigma

In six months to a year from now come back to this post and have a good chuckle at how you had doubts about yourself.

Believe and you will achieve…

Dedicate 3/4 hours a day, for the next two years, and you’ll be writing:

“Am I too old for this?”

in binary.

01000001 01101101 00100000 01001001 00100000 01110100 01101111 01101111 00100000 01101111 01101100 01100100 00100000 01100110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01110100 01101000 01101001 01110011 00111111

“Too old” is a state of mind. I’m 53 and I’m still learning something new every day.

2 Likes

posts like this remind me of my grandma, that is saying “I am like this, I am too old to change” since 30 years ago

How much could a person learn and improve in 30 years?

do you want to arrive ten years from now and not having learned anything new because ten years before you were too old?

Learning to code is an excellent way to keep your brain in tip top condition. Just make sure you don’t forget to get proper exercise every day (which coincidentally also helps with fixing problematic bugs in your code) as it’s easy to want to work on the computer and not do anything else once you get addicted!

Feeling old is relative and a matter of mindset. I am 32 and I already think that I am too old to start learn these stuffs :laughing:. Such a shame… It is good to hear that someone like you still have high spirit to start new thing and open to learn new subjects.

Start new projects by your own is the best decision. Plus, you have more time to learn now after retired. Good luck!

Just a comment, I have faced the same question in my own mind, I am 60+ former Marine, in sales leadership for the last 35+ years and now trying start a new career in coding, (I have said to myself at least 10x a day “ you should have started this 20 years ago” ) but at this point “should have, would have, could have” is irrelevant in “our” case, the only thing that matters is what we choose to do now, from this point forward. Now I may never be a “full stack developer” (whatever that is) but I do know this, computers and the ability to write programs has always fascinated me and I have a lifetime of experience in dedication, determination, drive and enthusiasm, each day I study is a challenge for me as try to make my way through this path but I really want this and the only one who can stop me is …me, And I have never given up at anything I have started, and people like us have one thing that money cannot buy…experience! I want to thank you for your post as for a while I thought I was the only senior crazy enough to do this, YOU have helped my motivation, Thank You. Stay the course, it will be worth it.

1 Like