Anyone else feels that Atom editor is buggy as hell?

Atom uses an insane amount of resources. It’s probably buggy due to a lack of computing resources on your machine. I imagine a future where Atom needs more and more resources not less. I personally ended up switching to Sublime Text Editor as it works better for me, is lightweight and uses less battery.

I’d say switch to vscode, you’ll love the vscode debugger. (btw i’m not a fanboy, funnily enough i use atom still to type up a journal, its lower memory)

That and source control for commits git diffs is pretty well integrated.

1 Like

Yeah. I use it on win 7, and it isn’t buggy for me. Again, I haven’t used it much.

I stopped using Atom because of the performance issues. It’s a hybrid desktop application, so its built with JS/HTML/CSS. That’s why its not very good.

Is that not how VSCode was made? @tear727

Year old topic brought back from the dead.

VSCode does work similar to atom but I find that Atom slows down ALOT once you install enough plugins. Never had that problem with VSCode.

When I had it, it was never buggy but I did notice it wasted too much RAM and the CPU usage was huge at times. So I decided to give VSCode a try and so far so good.

Ah no way. I guess it is. Well, they have no excuse then! @iamknox

1 Like

Atom is a great editor, if you have 64 core cpu and 128 gb of RAM, all jokes aside it’s resource intensive and you need a powerful machine to run it, I recommend VS Code or Sublime. VS Code is better in my opinion.

1 Like

Umm, they have exactly the same underlying platform, the two are just optimised for different things (Atom for ease of plugin creation/editor customisation, VSCode for things MS wants & speed)

1 Like

Is Atom also written in Typescript? If not VS Code and Atom are not exactly the same.

Webstorm is my favorite. If you’re a student, you can get it free with your student email

1 Like

What I meant was that neither are standalone apps, they’re both both built on top of exactly the same platform (Electron), allowing apps to be built using HTML/CSS/JS.

(Plus surely Typescript is just a bolted on gradual typing system, it’s not a different language - akin to saying app a is written in Elixir but app b is written in Typespecs/Dialyzer (just that JS doesn’t support macros, so you have this complex app/lib + build step instead))

Atom is awesome, and I love its open source spirit, but right now I think VS Code is way more performant.