April 2018 fCC Cohort - JavaScript Algorithms and Data Structures

HELLO

I’m planning to work through the Javascript Algorithms and Data Structures certificate curriculum. Want to join me?

The main difference between being a part of this cohort and doing freeCodeCamp on one’s own is that we’ll try to finish projects and sections by the deadlines in the schedule below.

COHORT PROCESS

I divided the curriculum into three parts:

• The first part mostly covers the basics of JavaScript.
  • The second part will cover basic algorithms in JavaScript and learn about object oriented and functional programming.
  • The third part will cover the intermediate algorithms and the JavaScript projects.

I will create a new topic for each of the three parts of the cohort. The first post of each topic will be a wiki post that will initially include the following:

• Link to the Schedule
  • Summary of the purpose of the topic for those who may not know about the Cohort
  • Deadline for the section/project
  • List of helpful resources

Anyone who’s participating in the cohort will want to bookmark and watch this topic and the other topics for future reference.

watching

Cohort members will ask questions and share links and information with one another within section topics. Please add to and edit the first post of each topic as needed to share resources and other helpful information with other cohort members.

Participating in the cohort means one commits to do the following:

• Work on and finish sections and projects by the deadline.
  • Give others feedback and reviews on their code and projects.
  • Help by answering questions as needed.
  • Share interesting information about section material and projects with the cohort.

SCHEDULE

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

As you can see, most of the cohort is challenge-focused, so resource sharing will be very helpful as we learn about JavaScript and algorithms.

Note: We’ll be using the beta curriculum so it’s up to each person individually to keep track of one’s progress and save one’s code in case the beta curriculum data disappears for some reason.

COHORT HISTORY

This cohort continues the January 2018 Cohort which started in January 2018 and ended on April 1, 2018.

The October 2017 cohort was a previous attempt at running a cohort using the freeCodeCamp curriculum. In that cohort, we used forum private messages for internal communication and topics for section and project reviews. We used the current curriculum and ended the cohort when it was announced that the beta curriculum could be ready by Christmas 2017.

The Chingu cohorts (#6 | #7) also exist for those who want a more team-based path outside of the freeCodeCamp ecosystem. I mention this here for reference only as the Chingu program is not connected to this cohort in any way.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Who can participate?

Anyone! Whether you’re just starting or you’ve been involved with freeCodeCamp for a long time, you’re welcome to join, follow along, and contribute.

What's the daily/weekly time commitment?

About 2-3 hours a day for the challenges, which includes reading through and completing the challenges and replying to questions from cohort members. The expectation is that we’ll be learning 7 days a week. If we work hard, we can each have the JavaScript Algorithms and Data Structures Certificate by August 1st, 2018! :fireworks:

What technologies will we need? Do I have to sign up for an account somewhere?

The only communication system we use is the freeCodeCamp forum system. If you’re reading this message and have an account on the forum system, then you have everything you need to succeed in this cohort!

What if I fall behind or my situation changes and I can't continue?

You don’t have to do anything. If you’re absent from our discussions, we’ll assume you’re not participating for important reasons and move on without you. There’s no pressure to participate.

What if I work ahead or what if I'm already finished with some of the curriculum?

That’s great! Keep working hard! It’s one thing to have completed the challenges and projects, but it’s something entirely different (and potentially equally beneficial to one’s own learning) to review other people’s projects and help others when they get stuck. If you find yourself ahead of the cohort schedule because you know the material well or had extra time to get more finished, please check in with other cohort members to see if you can help!

In this cohort, the schedule is created with the idea that we need to really learn the material in each of the sections, not just finish the sections. So, one suggestion for those who find themselves ahead is to read some extra materials about the section content (see the resources section of each topic) and really dive deep into the content so you can solidify your understanding of the topic.

What about the rest of the freeCodeCamp beta curriculum?

If all goes well, we’ll start working on the other sections when we’re finished in August.

Will another cohort be started for the JavaScript section of the beta curriculum?

Maybe! All of this text and anything else that’s shared on the freeCodeCamp forum in relation to this cohort is in the public domain and can be used by anyone as needed. I (@camper) am not going to facilitate a cohort for this section again. Hopefully someone else will facilitate another one and if they do, they’re welcome to copy/paste this topic or any other topic/reply that I write.

How will progress be saved if/when the beta site data is reset, corrupt, etc...?

I think the best we can do at this point is to login to the beta site and work through the challenges so the beta site keeps our progress. When finished for the day, one will want to record their stopping point somewhere outside the beta site just in case that data is reset or whatever.

As we get to the challenges that require us to write a bunch of code, one will have to/want to copy and save that code to somewhere outside the beta site so it can be copied back in once the beta is live. Another alternative would be to redo that work once the beta is live, since hopefully one will have learned how to do it so doing it again shouldn’t be too difficult or time-consuming.

It’s definitely not ideal, but I think it’s better than using the current curriculum which isn’t as up-to-date as the beta curriculum.

When does this cohort start?

The cohort officially starts on April 5, 2018. You can start early if you want or join in late if you’re reading this after the 5th.

HOW CAN ONE JOIN?

Bookmark this topic and edit this first post to add your username to the member list below. That’s it! All usernames in this list will be notified of future cohort topics. If you can’t edit this first post, comment below and I’ll add your username to the list.

COHORT MEMBER LIST

• camper
  • angelinalblyth
  • yoizfefisch
  • NariRoh
  • gilvarry
  • emilio12345
  • wmooney1984
  • verde79
  • Asjas
  • kevin0110w
  • bushbass
  • ecmonzon
  • reginabfly
  • Gigahood
  • zaynaib
  • suzannekinyenje
  • nickoless
  • lbeth
  • ddcas
  • RobGoelz
  • KatFrog
  • coderati
  • RReddVar
  • vagrahb
  • wade1928
  • webdevdjm
  • Poojabedur
  • uzorjchibuzor
  • RHoneyman87
  • Techne3
  • smsguy927
  • Foo_Dog
  • nvrqt03
  • Saddam
  • clickingmouse
  • brityank
  • OllL
  • wesam-mustafa
  • jgsimmerman
  • davemowery
  • vbartolomei1
  • catherinewoodward
  • Johnrose
  • mohamedkhaledyousef
  • skny3d
  • alhazen1
  • deedee
  • m4sterbunny
  • Emgo-Dev
  • JayDevelopment
  • Balancedsan
20 Likes

Thanks for setting this up again @camper. The last one was helpful on keeping my motivated and on track.

4 Likes

This is really helpful to keep me motivated and working through stuff, thanks for taking charge on it!

4 Likes

I will give it a try for sure :wink:

2 Likes

I wish I get fired from my current job so I can try this soon

1 Like

I’ll join too! Some deadlines will get me stuck in to JS!

1 Like

Even just an hour or two a night does wonders. That’s all I can manage.

3 Likes

Wanting to join in on the cohort but a bit confused as to whether I sign in for the beta or not, and work through the lessons without being saved? Help appreciated

1 Like

@verde79 I think the best we can do at this point is to login to the beta site and work through the challenges so the beta site keeps our progress. When finished for the day, one will want to record their stopping point somewhere outside the beta site just in case that data is reset or whatever.

As we get to the challenges that require us to write a bunch of code, one will have to/want to copy and save that code to somewhere outside the beta site so it can be copied back in once the beta is live. Another alternative would be to redo that work once the beta is live, since hopefully one will have learned how to do it so doing it again shouldn’t be too difficult or time-consuming.

It’s definitely not ideal, but I think it’s better than using the current curriculum which isn’t as up-to-date as the beta curriculum.

Another good thing about us using the beta curriculum is that we’ll be able to report issues we find and that will help make it better for everyone. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Boss told me today they may let me go this week.
I am so happy to know I will get fired and will have all the time in the world to code again!

1 Like

Always look for the silver lining

For those of you who also wants to save progress, you can follow the freeCodeCamp Contributing Guide to setup a local version of freeCodeCamp to work on.

That way you can work through beta and not lose progress if anything happens.

1 Like

I would like to join, please. :grinning: It didn’t let me edit the first post.

HOW CAN ONE JOIN?
Bookmark this topic and edit this first post to add your username to the member list below. That’s it! All usernames in this list will be notified of future cohort topics. If you can’t edit this first post, comment below and I’ll add your username to the list.

^ That is all you need to do. It’s in the post

:star: The first topic of the April 2018 JavaScript cohort is live! :star:

Unlike the previous cohort where the strength of the cohort was in reviewing projects, the strength of this cohort really comes from discussions and sharing resources around the content.

Do you know of any good resources for any of the information we learn in part 1? If so, edit the first post with your resources and/or add a reply there so we can get the discussion started. There’s a lot to talk about when it comes to JavaScript! :sunny:

3 Likes

I want to give this a try but this is new to me. Is there a certain group on the forum where we ask questions or post progress?

Hi @reginabfly

In the comment above yours there is this link you can follow. Discussion, Questions, and Resources for Part 1 (JavaScript - April 2018 Cohort)

i woild like to join the cohort for April 2018

Add me to the list please!

add me too please ! :slight_smile:

1 Like