AS or BS if you already have an unrelated BS degree?

AS or BS if you already have an unrelated BS degree?

University of the People has accredited AS and BS degrees in CS. I already have a BS in Finance and am curious if that means having only an AS would still be pretty marketable.

The ultimate option would be an MS of course, but my debt is already high and I want to take UOTP’s free online program. Currently emailing them to see if I can shorten the path with some class credits from my prior degree.

Do you guys think a BS Finance + AS Computer Science roughly == BS CS in terms of marketability?

Honestly, I don’t know if another degree helps you if it’s not more advance than the one you have.

The reason CS academic backgrounds are marketable is because they also learned the theories, mathematics, and advance coursework that in theory helps them think and solve complex problems.

The same assumption cannot really be readily made of an associates degree curriculum.

If the cost is equivalent, I’d choose a bootcamp with some industry connection over your standard associated program. I think in term of practical marketable job ready skills, a bootcamp probably provides more than an associates degree.

Hello,

I was in the same boat! I did a year of the U of P BS CS program, but ultimately got tired of having to take gen ed courses because they wouldn’t accept them from my original school, Portland State University.

There are good things about it, but you are ultimately graded by your peers. I suspected (and reported) plagiarism. They threaten to kick you out if you don’t! But because none of the other students reported it, I got marked down!

Try Western Governors University for a good low cost program, or Oregon State University online post-bac. It’s excellent!

Kellie

You already have a degree, stop worrying about the pieces of paper and just focus on making sure your projects are super clean and stand out.

I totally agree with you Eddie.

@SeanDez

I’ve seen some people with a CS degree struggle to find a developer job after graduation. Not meaning to scare you but what you do on your portfolio matters far more than your piece of paper.