August coding meetup!

Hey!
General details:

• To get in, just ring the doorbell on the left side, and someone will let you in. It’s always locked, but people will always come and open the door for you.
  • Look for us in the room on the left.
  • Bring your laptop! This is a great time to share what you’ve been working on or what has stumped you!
1 Like

Yeah!! Last month was so much fun!
Post here what you are learning this month and perhaps prime the pump of what we can discuss on the Aug meetup :slight_smile:

I’ve been learning tons of typescript lately. It is awesome how much it integrates with you text editor, like taking all of the guess work out of using new libraries or code bases. I don’t think I want to go back to JavaScript.

I’m not saying that to be an elitist, but just to say how helpful it is that typescript helps connect everything you are writing, and will break before you have to figure out what is actually going on. It will just tell you how bad your code is instead, gently of course :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would love to help people get set up with VS code! It is so nice to have autocomplete

1 Like

Being someone who doesn’t know anything about typescript yet what would you say the pros/cons are with using it instead of js? Besides what you noted above of course. Also I’m off to google this answer myself but would love your personal opinion.

whoops, just saw this!
I love how much it integrates with your editor and how quickly it alerts you to things that might go wrong. So writing code is much more secure and debugging code is way easier!
The cons are the overhead of getting it set up right and fighting to make the compiler happy. You can’t assume or it won’t even compile your code to something you can even use! That can be really frustrating, especially when you really are trying to do things the right way!

For topics this month, I’ve been thinking about Learning Publicly with things like 100DaysOfCode.com or javascript30.com.
I’ve done 100DaysofCode, but not Javascript30, it is only 30 days of commitment, so a little easier, and it walks you through a bunch of projects.
They could even be used in conjunction if you would like!

@mckelveygreg Hey Greg, I may or may not make it tonight. Steven and I are struggling with a car issue that just popped up. We’re trying to fix it but if we can’t in time I’ll have to stay home. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Oh no! Well I’ll be there. Did you check out javascript30? I think I may start that today! It would be awesome to do it with a few folks