Best Books on Coding

Hey everyone,

I have just started here at freeCodeCamp and I was wondering if you could point me towards some good resources on best programming practices. In my own search I already came up with some titles, but I don’t want to miss anything important.

My knowledge base comes from two university courses on programming, one on machine learning, one on data structures and algorithms (mainly sorting algorithms) and one on modeling. However, I feel like I learned a lot of small pieces and find it hard to see the full picture. Ultimately, I am interested in becoming a game developer, but at the moment I am focusing my time and energy on becoming an employable web developer.

The languages I have worked with up till now are Python, Racket, Common Lisp, HTML, CSS, JavaScript and a tiny bit of C. So I would prefer books with programming examples in similar languages. I prefer the book format because I feel like I already spend way too much time in front of a screen and have better recall when reading books and writing notes by hand.

The titles I came up with:

• Code Complete by Steve McConnell
  • Clean Code by Robert C Martin
  • Game Programming Patterns by Robert Nystrom
  • Unity in Action by Joseph Hocking

I don’t mind reading older books. I really enjoyed reading (parts of) Knuth’s Literate Programming.

TL;DR: I am looking for book recommendations on best programming practices for web and game developers.

2 Likes

There are some other threads on this, one current one is:

And others can be found here:

https://forum.freecodecamp.com/search?q=books

And of course there’s this:

1 Like

As usual, i recommend the course CS50.
It’s the best first step into programming. Covers what you seem to be looking for.

1 Like

I looked for similar topics before, but couldn’t find them. I guess I didn’t look hard enough, thank you for the search link.

As for the other two, I really prefer books on paper and couldn’t really find any usable info at the other topic and P1xt guides.

Thank you for the recommendation, it seems a very interesting course. I will out it in my bookmarks so I can come back to it later.

However, right now I am specifically looking for paper books to read as I am already doing the Udemy Web Developer Bootcamp and have around 15 other courses I can start when I want to.