Best Games for Learning to Code

I recently stumbled upon:

It’s an interactive coding game that seems like a really great way to learn the fundamentals.

I want to know if anyone has used games like these, which ones, and were they helpful?
Which one do you think is the best?

5 Likes

I liked this one. Quite old, but I had a lot of fun going through it. Actually I’m not finished yet. I should get back to it!

Untrusted —or— the Continuing Adventures of Dr. Eval is an exciting Meta-JavaScript Adventure Game wherein you guide the dashing, steadfast Dr. Eval through a mysterious MACHINE CONTINUUM, wherein, using only his trusty computer and the TURING-COMPLETE power of JavaScript, he must literally ALTER HIS REALITY in order to find his freedom! You must literally edit and re-execute the very JavaScript running the game in your browser to save Dr. Eval from this dark and confusing reality!

6 Likes

Yeah I found the one at code.org, theres a Star Wars coding game and I think the other one is a Mine Craft themed game too.
I actually work with kids so I want to try and get them coding using these online games.

2 Likes

I’m late to this thread but a game I’m really digging is Human Resource Machine. I’ve been playing it (on my iPad) for a few weeks now, it’s my morning coffee and wake-up-the brain ritual. Has really helped me with thinking through loops. The upper levels are certainly challenging enough for adults, but I’d think kids could play the beginning levels.

1 Like