Bootstrap studio, coders' dilemma

I know coding is the very efficient way to write a webpage, or a full website in some instances… But why would you spend hours, days or even weeks when you can just drag drop and edit to create your beautiful, automatically responsive site in just hours or less ?(Assuming youre creating a simple page)… Imagine, I create Navbar including responsiveness in pure CSS alone for half an hour! And I can just drag the word “NAV” into the workspace to create it in the studio?.. Im a new Web Designer/ Developer, Whatever you call me, Remember I dont have much idea about your world…

Im starting to worry to put my skills, or my future skills and the time I have used in vain… ofcourse, I can still use SOME of the skills in it! But i will not be able to use it all! because everyhing became easy… Im afraid if i use my whole time as a 13 year old boy to study code when I can already study with a more advanced technology, which basically is the studio… I may not be able to find a job in the future! And i dont want that to happen! NOTE, Im not promoting BOOTSTRAP STUDIO nor encouraging you not to use it… Im just asking if these things Im currently stufdying on right now are worth it and can still be used in the future!

Bootstrap? or plain old Code? :sob:

**EDIT

I just found out BOOTSTRAP STUDIO WAS RELEASED Around 2015! Im not sure why coders still code… and why arent they problematic about this… maybe im just really new and didnt understand something…

1 Like

Bootstrap is just a tool to ease up production but you will need all the “plain old” coding skills you are learning to be able to modify it and make it different than everything else out there.

Bootstrap is just a collection of classes, which might increment loading time, and of which you only use a few. But those classes are limited.

I know that right now most beginners we are just trying to put something together, but to become a top-notch front-end developer you’ll have to be able to build things from scratch and tailor-made.

Here is a link to the CSS awards where you can see some of the most creative and cool websites out there with a focus on exploiting the CSS potential Design awards

But if your focus is to work on back-end (or be an average front-end, or to mass produce plenty of similar websites) then Bootstrap might be a useful tool to have at hand but I won’t substitute the proper coding.

You can’t call yourself a web developer if you create a website using the preloaded themes in pages like Wordpress and Wix (and I don’t mean creating themes for them). And for me, Bootstrap is a step closer to that, an automatization of coding.

This is not to say it was not useful previously in terms of responsiveness, but now we have grid and flexbox to take care of that.

1 Like

GUI builders only [kinda] work if what they are used to build is very simple, with very few options. Even then these applications are difficult to build, target consumers find them limiting, and they’re nightmarishly difficult to maintain. Actually writing CSS/HTML is often more efficient. There’s a target market that they work for, but it’s quite small.

2 Likes

@lagdave, you should ask yourself one question to decide whether to use:

• raw code
  • GUI builders /WYSIWYG Editors, what you called “the studio”

What is “the studio” created with?

The thing is…the more you practice with hand coding everything, the faster you’ll get at it. Where that nav bar once took you an hour and a half, now it takes you five to ten minutes (depending on the functionality it needs). using something like flexbox makes that task even faster.

Plus by building everything yourself you know that code intimately. You know every single character that went into building it, you know exactly what it does, you know exactly what it can do. You can change it however you want without any restrictions. The only thing it’ll cost you is time. And again, the more you work with straight up HTML/CSS/JS/Whatever language, the quicker it is to produce something.

Here’s a question for you, let’s say you don’t go the freelancer route and you get a job at a design/development company…what if they don’t use Bootstrap Studio? What if they use a different framework? Knowing the core languages gives you the upperhand in a situation like that. Because technically you don’t need a framework to do anything, you can do it from scratch. Also, knowing the core languages will cut your learning of another framework or library by quite a lot.

Codes? Of course they are not created with GUI Builders as well, are they?

Oh That’s why coders still code… and the coding community is still ALIVE! Im happy for it :blush::blush:… but still worrying for future technologies :sob:

Thats what I want to hear when I asked if I really have to learn JQuery Before…Thanks!

1 Like

No, it’s not “turtles all the way down.” Looking at some of your other answers: you don’t need to worry about future technologies replacing coders. Given your age, you can safely ignore some legacy technologies like jQuery, and the Bootstrap framework which is built on top of it. Power doesn’t lie in using software, power lies in writing it.

Yeah, I really have no plan in learning JQuery nor any CSS Libraries… except FlexBox and GRID because they work in browser alone without the need of linking it in the document… But I guess I have to learn them in the future since most of them are required in some job offerings(That’s what i mostly see in JOb offering posts)… but one question sir @vipatron,

IF SASS for CSS what is for Bootstrap? is it a framework based on CSS alone or Javascript as well… because Im planning on to learning the stuffs it can made using raw stuffs

These kind of website builders are just simple to use, but they will seem to make it limited as to options provided. As example, you can look at Mobirise Website Builder. It’s really difficult to make these site builders evolve and keep them alive.