Can you use templates on CodePen?

So I searched Templates on codepen for my portfolio. I would of course pretty much strip it and revamp it but I’m not sure if that is that specific persons template or since its public I can use it?

[edit] this is bad advice given the following replies by wiser people but if I delete it, it will look weird… So just overlook my post :blush:
Since you’re going to strip it and revamp it I don’t where the problem is.

I think I would make a short note in the description explaining exactly that (for the first stages where the original code is still very much visible). Once you’ve really re-worked it into your own work, you can delete that or still explain and refer to the original, your choice.

Seems fair-play, no? Besides I don’t know your level, but it’s not like you’d get thousands of views just like that :slight_smile:

That’s what I was thinking…by the time I’m done with it the goal of course would for it to be my own. Just use the structure part of the code for the page. I’m a beginner, so this has be very frustrating lol

I think the answer is Yes, but no. If you are willing to take the front end certificate, you have to work in your own code. This might be hard, but you can always read awesome guides in the internet. FCC audit your code to check If it’s really yours. But… If you want to use it for another project, just Go ahead and do it.

What websites? because I have been researching my ass off and I just cant figure it out. Like the smooth look of a portfolio I just cant get or understand. It’s very frustrating because I would love to build it from scratch but its becoming very discouraging. So if you can point me to great sites that would be wonderful!

I would love to help you find what you’re looking for, but maybe you’re trying to bite off more than you can chew here? Website design isn’t an easy thing to do, even if you’re just working from a tutorial, and using a template won’t do much to build your confidence. Which project are you working on now, and what sorts of things are you looking to add to it?

I am on the portfolio project. I did the tribute page with no issues but this portfolio page is definitely outside of what I have learned. Like the infrastructure portion of it. I just don’t know where to start and nothing has been helpful. A template is the easy way to go and I’m just not that type of person but I’m so frustrated that I’m starting to think about it.

I can fully understand why it’s frustrating, but don’t hold yourself up to ridiculous standards. No one is expecting you to create something that looks great, or even good. You don’t have to keep anything you do, but the point of the projects is simply to get you coding something. As you improve, you’ll be able to go back to fix problems you had, or start over completely. No one will judge you for making ugly web pages, so don’t let perfection stifle your learning.

But

How to start? Draw something on paper. Use crayons or finger paint if you want. Your basic portfolio page has 5 parts:

• Header
  • Landing page
  • About me
  • Projects
  • Footer

Don’t try to reinvent the wheel with your design, just take the road most travelled for now. Look at the Bootstrap documentation to see what’s possible. Do what you can with what you know, and ask questions here when you’re lost. You can check out my super-conservative, safely designed (and boring) portfolio site here. This started out as something much, much uglier almost 2 years ago, but there’s nothing really special about it. It works, though, and it makes use of standard Bootstrap components.