Cannot link stylesheet :-( :-(

Cannot link stylesheet :-( :-(

i have been on several forums from people with the same problem but it appears as though i haven’t done anything wrong and it should work fine. it was copied from my course material so i cant see why it wouldn’t work.
below is index.html

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
	<link rel="stylesheet" type=“text/css" media=“screen” href=“style.css">
	<title>Classical Ciphers</title>
</head>
<body>
	<h1> hello world </h1>
</body>
</html>

and below is style.css (just to test)

body {background-color:black}
h1 {color:red}
p {color:blue}

both files are in the same folder but the stylesheet is ignored whenever i test the html page. i have cleared and re cleared the cache and used both IE and Chrome. am i missing something terribly obvious here? i just want to get them working together then i can start messing around and learning how it all works properly. I have coursework due! thanks in advance for any advice

I’ve edited your post for readability. When you enter a code block into the forum, precede it with a line of three backticks and follow it with a line of three backticks to make easier to read. See this post to find the backtick on your keyboard. The “preformatted text” tool in the editor (</>) will also add backticks around text.

You have some curly double quotes “ and ” which need to be straight double quotes " in the following line of your HTML.

<link rel="stylesheet" type=“text/css" media=“screen” href=“style.css">

So it was simple. Thanks a lot for your rapid and helpful reply!

You can use straight double or single quotes when surrounding an element attribute’s value, but they both need to be the same kind.

Correct:

<h1 style="color: red;">Hello</h1>

<h2 style='color: green;'>World</h2>

Incorrect:

<h3 style='color: blue;">Hello World</h3>