Can't find apparent infinite loop in Smallest Common Multiple function?

Hi all - I am getting the right answers for this function when I run in node in my terminal, but the FCC console keeps telling me I have an infinite loop on the line where my for loop begins.

"Error: potential infinite loop at line 11.To disable loop protection, write:
// noprotect as the first line. Beware that if you do have an infinite loop in your code this will crash your browser. " I think I probably don’t want to use //nonprotect.

It seems to work with all but the last example, smallestCommons([23, 18]). All the others appear checked. And as I said, when I try this in my terminal it works fine and spits out the correct number, 6056820.

Any advice? I feel like I’m missing something small and easy but I just can’t see it! Any help is greatly appreciated. My code is below.

function smallestCommons(arr) {

arr.sort(function(a, b){return a-b;});
  console.log(arr);
  var j = 0;
  var i = 1;
  var trying = true;

while (trying) {
    for (j=arr[0]; j<arr[1]+1; j++) {
      if (i%j !== 0){
        break;
      }

else if (j==arr[1]) {
        trying = false;
        console.log(i);
        return i;
      }
      else {
        continue;
      }

}

i++;
  }
}

smallestCommons([23, 18]);

First off use triple backticks to post code in the forum. See this post for more details.

Secondly, its most likely not an infinite loop, but rather a loop that runs an excessive number of times. I ran into the same issue when I was doing that challenge. There is a more efficient algorithm that will allow you to pass the challenge. If you want I can post my solution, or you can try puzzle it out?

I cleaned up your code.
You need to use triple backticks to post code to the forum.
See @JavaTheNutt’s link for details.

It is “potential” infinite loop because you have trying in your while loop which gets changed in the else if statement and “potentially” could never be reached.

Regarding your code - do you really need to increment i by one?