Cant Find Job After FCC..Should I Join a Bootcamp?

Cant Find Job After FCC..Should I Join a Bootcamp?

I got my Front-End Certificate in Oct 2017 and I’ve been applying to jobs since than. I have only had one interview but it was at an agency. I’ve heard about App Academy and I’m considering doing it if I get accepted. I only know of one person that got hired at my local FCC, and he didn’t even finish FCC. Do you think a bootcamp would help my job prospects? I’ve signed up for Chingu but have not heard anything. I’m in the Sacramento region, so although their are some Web Dev jobs, a majority of positions are Java/C#. Any advice would be great!

If it was me I would see what jobs are out there, look at what they require and learn that language. You mentioned that people are looking for Java/C# I would start there and look at learning those languages.

I think the most logical step is to ask for a portfolio review from fellow campers on here. See what you can improve on or what you’re doing wrong (portfolio design, non-modular javascript etc…). There are plenty of people here who will help you out.

I wouldn’t consider the Front End Certificate to be “after FCC”. Those intermediate certificates were never intended to be stopping points or considered to be enough to make a student job-ready. I believe that in the new curriculum those certificates will no longer exist for exactly that reason. There was a misunderstanding that they were distinct paths to choose from instead of merely steps along the way.

it is not a trend. .NET & Java have been the two biggest technology stacks for web development for the last 15 years.
Many big fortune 500 companies have systems to be mantain, migrate from one another and develop from scratch with these toolsets.
It would certainly be easier for a jr dev to get these positions if the dev knows front end in addition to either one of these.

I meant more of a hiring trend since I’ve seen an increase in junior positions looking for that stack, but I agree that learning them will increase employment prospects.

@cjlynch12 my 0.02

the increase in jr positions has to do because, mainly;

1. if you stick to this stack, chances are your manager will want you to become a lead or architect, and the guys I knew that strated out in .NET or Java are now leads or architects, which creates a demand to replace these former programmers
  2. These two stacks have grown so much and it has become such a broad field that there was a need to create specialization fields, which segregated and broaden the opportunity field for certified professionals
  3. a lot of .net and java devs are migrating towards sexier, greener fields, meaning JS, Python, Ruby, and all the stacks the cool kids do today.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I’ll build some full stack apps and will consider App Academy if I get accepted. I’m leaning towards Java, since it can be used pretty much everywhere. Once I get my portfolio done, I’ll post in the appropriate channel for feedback.

You don’t have a portfolio yet? That’s probably a big reason why you’re not landing interviews. You need a nice portfolio and an active Github before you start job hunting.

Many boot camps provide career support, however they can’t force companies to hire you. There will be work on your part as well. Can you tell us what you think went wel, and what went wrong in the interviews?