Can't see past solutions

Can't see past solutions

Why are all my past solutions erased?

There are two different types of saved progress for Free Code Camp: your profile and your browser cache.

A list of your completed challenges is saved to your account in the FCC database. You can see the list of completed challenges by looking at your public portfolio. With a growing curriculum already over 1,400 lessons and a community of millions of people, FCC does not store every solution to every challenge in its database. When you complete a challenge, there is a modal that gives you the option to download your solution. This gives you the option to save a copy of any solution that you may want to reference later. There are some challenges which are classified as projects required for certifications. Your solutions to those can be viewed on your settings page.

Your in-editor code is saved in your browser’s local storage. Recent in-progress code from the challenge editor is also saved in your local browser cache when you run tests. If you are completing lessons and do not see your recent code, then your local storage has been cleared or something is preventing FCC from writing to your browser’s storage. This could be a browser setting, a privacy extension, or a browser version incompatibility. Especially as you get to more complicated challenges that may take multiple sessions, I strongly recommend saving your in-progress work outside of the browser cache.

This is a good opportunity to learn the ins and outs of your GitHub account, but you can also just save locally or use a service like repl.it which allows for versioning.

I don’t fully understand.

When I go to my settings page, only 5 solutions show up under " JavaScript Algorithms and Data Structures Projects".

When I go to my profile page, it shows a list of all the challenges I completed and the date. But when I click on the challenge, there is no code?

When I used my account back in 2017, I was able to access my past solutions. Now I can’t. I had a hiatus from using freecodecamp, so I want to go back and study to refresh what I learned 2 years ago.

So you mean to tell me I have to re do them all over again? Because free code camp deleted the solutions while they were adding more features to the website?

freecodecamp doesn’t store the solutions anymore, they were taking too much memory and there were not enough money to pay the servers for also these things.

You don’t need to redo the challenges as they are marked as completed, but if you want to save the solution for future use, you need to copy somewhere else or download it when prompted

ok thanks for clarifying that

Why wouldn’t they warn us of that? It used to save these and it was helpful to go back and see past solutions to help with future problems or when you forgot how to do things. I had a take a pause for about a month and now I’m 3/4 finished with the Javascript track and have to start over because I don’t remember some things and can’t refresh because they erased all my solutions. They should have emailed us and said they weren’t going to store it anymore or given us the option to download our solutions.

It’s been years since they were able to store all solutions. Every time you submit a solution, it asks you if you want to save it.