Career Advice For Remote Jobs

Hi guys, I’m happy to join this great community. I am currently learning through both freeCodeCamp and Codecadamy. It is great how both this sites expose the subject slowly and I feel I am absorbing the information quite well. I can’t wait to use this knowledge for cool projects!

I am curious how hard getting a remote job is. I would like to work from my laptop so I can travel the world climbing and do BJJ. What are the hours and pay like for most entry-level people? Is the course from freeCodeCamp sufficient to get a job? Of course, I understand coding is difficult and require dedication. I am just curious what a programmer’s life is like. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi,

Getting a remote job is far more difficult than getting a regular one (in the office).
Why? Because you are running against the whole world instead of running against your local people. That’s why most of remote jobs are for experienced devs. In meanwhile try to get a regular (in office) job as a developer, don’t stop learning and become a more senior dev. After that try to get a remote job.

Regarding your phrase:

There is too much things that remote workers don’t tell about their lives. Remote work has nothing to do with sitting on a beach, open your laptop and code while you sip margueritas all day.
Try to read blog posts and experiences from seasoned developers to see what remote work is like (On Working Remotely)

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Andre

6 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I am interested in coding so I am fine with the work. Just curious about the hours and if it’s fixed or on my own terms. BJJ training is usually only 3 hours a day and climbing is probably a weekend thing. I’m interested in remote jobs because of my interest in travel and flexible hours.

Thanks for the info, I guess I’ll look for experience first

1 Like

I have the same idea as you regarding remote jobs. One day I would like to be able to live at any place I want. I’m still learning just like you. It’s great that you are looking at other resources, don’t forget to network.

Getting to know people in the industry and making relationships is a required skill !

1 Like

I’m sure you can reap the benefits of remote work if you’re willing to put in the work. That said, I am not yet an experienced dev. But as with anything in life, @andrealmar has a good point - be careful not to focus too much on just the superficial positives and envision yourself coding on the beach in some fantasy world haha.

At the same time though, dude, remote coding aint that hard to get into, go to UpWork and Freelancer, those are remote coding jobs and in fact I have several books that recommend starting your professional career with small freelance projects to build up your portfolio. But I’m sure there are definitely challenges… Like what if the person who hires you can’t communicate what he/she needs well over the internet or can’t speak English well or something… That sounds like it could get sticky!

1 Like

Getting a remote job that pays all the bills will be really tough, but definitely not impossible. As said above, you are competing against far more people than if you were seeking a desk job. I strongly doubt there are many entry level remote jobs that offer enough stable work to travel all over the place, however. I do know people that live in other cities from their jobs and work remotely. Typically, from the people I have met, they are the wizards or close-to-wizards or they are subject matter experts with several years experience. That is a demand you can leverage on your employer once you become a critical resource, not when you are just starting out. Also realize that the most straightforward route to remote work is probably becoming your own boss and not working from somebody else. If you are your own boss, in addition to doing the work, you have to find the work, you are your own human resources department, you are your own salesman, and you are your own planner, designer, and architect. There is a Sitepoint book called “The Principles of Freelancing” that is supposed to give you the ins and outs of being your own boss.

1 Like

Interesting viewpoints from everyone! I am looking at it as a marathon and wiling to gain experience working in an office if that is needed. The dream outcome is of course the digital nomad lifestyle. I am also curious, is it possible to apply for remote jobs from companies not in my country(SEA country)? It would be great if I get entry level salary from a higher currency country!

I am still doing Front End Cert, doing the JSON section. How much more knowledge do I need before applying on Upwork?

Cheers guys and girls.

2 Likes

I actually work remotely now because of the skills I have earned on freecodecamp, Codecademy and Lynda. I started out as a glorified personal assistant even though I had put my coding education on my resume. Once my employer (I use that term loosely, as I am an independent contractor) found out that I’m will to learn what I need to to further myself, he started giving me more and more to do. I was hired as a Web Designer and Marketing Intern and now the “intern” part is gone and I make $10 an hour more than when I started. I absolutely love working from home and thought I would be working in the sunshine on the deck every day, but have found that I get more accomplished by working in a dedicated work space. I wish you luck on your Journey!

4 Likes

sorry for the late reply. thats a really cool story. When did you start applying for the job? After Front end?

I Feel like I need to reply, because this is exactly the reason why I started to learn coding too.
Coding can give you a sense of freedom other jobs can’t give you, because all you need to code is your computer.

I’m sure you can make it work, as there are a lot of “options” in remote working and good coders are still in high demand (I’m also still a beginner. But the thought of one day working in a remote co-working space in countries like Costa Rica, Bali, Mexico,… keeps me going). Remote work is surely harder than working in an office. You need discipline and the right mindset. You’re not on a holiday. But the freedom & work-where-you-want ,when you want is worth it for me personally. (Especially if you are into slow travelling like I am).

Here are some options for remotework:

1. You can work for yourself freelancing. Sites like Upwork, WeWorkRemotely, remoteok.io,… There are tons of remote freelancing sites and most of them focus on some type of coding. Upwork probably is the best if you are a beginner.

2. Work remote for a company.
    This is probably the best option financially. Living in a country that has a cheaper currency compared to the salary in which you are earning (euros or USD). This is called Geo-Arbitrage. You work in an exotic country and you will spend less. And then if you have holiday, you will have enough savings to enjoy.

3. Work for a local company.
    Maybe less attractive, but this is probably the first option I am considering. Why not work for a startup in Malaysia, Mexico, Finland, “insert favourite country” :slight_smile:
    Finding a remote job as a beginner is hard, but still possible. This option is a lot easier I think.
    Work in an office, with a team, but in a different country. You’re still exploring new things, meeting new interesting people, learning new spoken languages, and new programming languages :wink: If you live in Europe this is even easier because you can work in another European country without needing a Visa.
    Check out Jobbatical.com website for example.

4. If you just want to travel, and you’re not sure about your skills?
    Why not exchanging your skills/service for accommodation & food. (also an option I’m seriously considering).
    You’re not getting rich, but you can work for 3 months in Brazil, and then move to Panama or whatever.
    Check out Workaway.org for this. And search for “Web Development or web Design”.

Note: I’m not trying to promote any websites. This is just advice. If mentioning these websites are not allowed, I didn’t know, and I apologize :slight_smile:

Like you see, I’m really passionate about this too haha.

6 Likes

Actually, I applied pretty much right after going through the JavaScript lessons. I figured why not? What have I got to lose? So, I had been learning to code for about 6 months at that point. I was driving to work an hour each way and just decided I had had enough and went for it!
I have listened to a lot of webinars and podcasts about how if we waited until we really felt we were ready to start applying for jobs, it would be about a year later than you should have!

Thanks Kendie1990, I will check out these sites once my skill level is up to par

1 Like

Thats really inspiring Andygirl. Since you work remotely, did you only apply for jobs in your country or worldwide? Im doing the intermediate section of Front End, once I’m done Im going all in and start applying for a job!

I only applied in my country. I did look at a couple of jobs outside my country, but I would have had to work at really odd hours and be available for phone calls at like 2AM my time. That kind of took away the reason I’m working remotely: Freedom!
Good for you! I wish you luck on your journey and hope you find the perfect remote job.

2 Likes

My dad is a project manager for a huge company. Noone in his office works remotely. One day he decided that’s what he wants to do so he brought it up to his boss and he was fine with it. He’s been working from home ever since. Sometimes all you have to do is ask and create the opportunity for yourself.