Challenge- Caesars Cipher

Hi FCCers,

Hope you all had a good start in 2017! I’m having difficulty with this challenge- Caesars Cipher, I can’t work out what goes wrong with my code. Can someone please help me? Thanks! :smiley:

function rot13(str) { 
 var result ="";
  for(var i =0; i<str.length; i++){
    if(str.charCodeAt(i)<65||str.charCodeAt(i)>90){
    result.push(str.charAt(i));
    } else if(str.charCodeAt(i)>77){

result.push(str.fromCharCode(str.charCodeAt(i)-13));
    }else {
       result.push(str.fromCharCode(str.charCodeAt(i)+13));
    }

}
  return result;
}

I have a feeling you dont debug (step through) your code … so before i give you the mistakes i ask that you try using this link i supplied below … paste your code in it and set it for javascript ESB then you can step through each line and see where problems are … it will be a great help to you in the future … i use this all the time

still have problems … i have to go out now be back shortly and will list what i found

http://www.pythontutor.com/

You have incorrect syntax for fromCharCode() and you are trying to .push() to string (result is a string).

Hey thanks for the link. I’m still playing with the tool, haven’t really figured out how it works.

ughhh thanks for the advice! I’ve corrected the code according to your feedback. and it passed! thanks a lot!

function rot13(str) { 
 var result =[];
  for(var i =0; i&lt;str.length; i++){
    if(str.charCodeAt(i)&lt;65||str.charCodeAt(i)&gt;90){
    result.push(str.charAt(i));
    } else if(str.charCodeAt(i)&gt;77){

result.push(String.fromCharCode(str.charCodeAt(i)-13));
    }else {
       result.push(String.fromCharCode(str.charCodeAt(i)+13));
    }

}
  return result.join("");
}

glad to see you got it sorted … dont give up on pythontutor as its great for stepping through code to see what is going on and for finding errors