Challenge is Missing Most of the Instructions

Tell us what’s happening:

I have only the first paragraph of the instructions on my challenge page.

Truncate a string (first argument) if it is longer than the given maximum string length (second argument). Return the truncated string with a ... ending.

When I found a video online, it had ALL of the instructions so I’m a little bit miffed.

Which challenge is this?

I think the instructions are kind of sufficient given the additional proposed outcome, albeit confusing. Solved this without looking at the help:

function truncateString(str, num) { var result = str.substring(0,num)+((!num || num>=str.length)?"":"..."); return result; }

Yes, but you probably had all of the instructions.
Mine came with no instructions compared to the video online that you can clearly see has more instructions.
Yep, you probably have a higher I.Q. and more education to help it along. I’ve just got my little 170 and no education. Oh well. I managed to get through it and I’m just a few challenges away from 900 hours of work done in 2.5-3 months. Not too bad for a dumb-dumb.

People were trying to figure out what you were talking about. You never told us what challenge you thought wasn’t showing the full instructions, so no one could look into it.

1 Like

I don’t understand the point of this post.

People try and help and you bite back with completely unfounded aspertions about what people do and don’t think.

FCC is supposed to be a collaborative environment where we all have each other’s backs. I’ve only been a member for a week or two (but have been reading the forums for a few months) but all I’ve experienced so far is positivity and support. Being combative will only push people away from helping you and is ultimately a world away from what we’re all trying to do.

Good luck with your studies.

To all…I listed the challenge in my initial statement but I will repeat it here.

’ Truncate a string (first argument) if it is longer than the given maximum string length (second argument). Return the truncated string with a …’

Truncating a string is the challenge and those are all the instructions listed. They stop at ‘a’.

You know what I know. That’s all the information that was provided. The YT video of the challenge has more instructions listed.

And Ascii, the point of this post is that the instructions are incomplete.

The instructions aren’t ending, they are just written confusingly. They’re telling you to append a literal ellipsis (...) to the end of the truncated strung. It should perhaps have been in quotes, or the word “ellipsis” used (or maybe just “three dots”), but either way the tests should have given plenty of clues as to the solution.

The wording of the challenges is sometimes vague and frequently exasperating, but this isn’t entirely different than what you’ll see in real-world requirements docs, so think of it as practice. :slight_smile:

But I saw the instructions on another guys video of the challenge and he had more instructions than I did on my instructions. That’s why they are missing.

Ugh…

The video that you are watching may have been made a few years ago. The challenges have been improved over time.

1 Like