CIW Certifications

Hey Everyone,

I am looking into paying for a CIW certification in web development (Certified Internet Web-master), i have been making my way through this site and seem to have a good foot hold but i am thinking that professional help and guidance might be the way forward, is there any point though?

I cannot find any solid information about the award online apart from back in like 2010 of people asking the same question as myself. The course is about £2500 and i am wondering if there is actually any weight in the certification. Like are companies going to even look at them on my CV / Portfolio or should i just continue to develop my way through freecodecamp?

Sorry for the lack of information but i am not sure what else to put down here, if you need any more information i can answer any questions in the replies.

Cheers in advance.

Oh and here the link to the course i am looking at: https://www.thetrainingroom.com/it/web-development-courses

It doesn’t hurt to have certifications, but I think that at the end of the day the biggest thing which will hold any weight will be your portfolio and/or your github account. Employers usually want to see things that you have done to get a general idea of where your knowledge base is.

1 Like

Cheers for the heads up, i have been working through my lessons on here and getting some projects finished. Your opinion mirrors most of the things i have read so far, its all about what you have done, not so much about the certificate.

Anyone know if its worth getting though for the experience? Its alot of money for me to find out it was pointless and not looked at.

Thanks, so i had a look and have found a list of reviews to the tune of “Its a scam and should be avoided at all costs” There is even a website dedicated to the mission of getting people not to pay their money to these guys, so for anyone else out there with the same goals as myself. Dont do it.

So my question now is, are there any qualifications / Certifications worth getting?

I heard FCC is pretty good :wink:

But in all seriousness, the projects that are on the FCC curriculum have helped lots of people land jobs. In saying that, people have gotten jobs with less, but people have also needed more. It really depends on a lot of factors. At the end of the day just keep expanding your portfolio.

You could also consider a bootcamp if you the financial means

In web development, no. Maybe in other types of computing jobs, like IT operations (which are listed here: Get IT Certified: All About IT Certifications | Pluralsight), but in general, don’t pay for certifications in any kind of software development.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information.