THE ANSWER IS
The Cloud9 credit card registration problem seems to be old but the FCC backend challenge still refers to this service
other posts about c9.io
- Update recommended tools for back end challenges
- Is there an alternative to Cloud 9? I have no credit card.
- Cloud9 requiring Credit Card
- … and some more in this Forum …
- use your own computer (or use virtualbox, or use your own docker, or …)
- use an empty prepaid credit card
- get c9.io access from somewhere else
- use another cloud
I ruled 1., 2., and 3. out for myself (I actually want to try cloud based or resp remote virtual servers, and I don’t want complicated work arounds or f**k around with credit card bs).
If you are also interested in No 4, i.e Cloud9 (c9.io) alternatives that works similar, then share your experience please. I guess many people would be interested.
- easy registration (e.g. github’s Oauth, simple email/pw) without further information (e.g. credit card number, ID, address, etc.)
- min 1 free workspace/machine/system (public or private doesn’t matter)
- free trial accounts with time limitation are ok
- *nix command line interface
- node.js should work
Candidates??? (that I haven’t checked)
nope something i missing: codetasty.com, gomix, Codenvy,
Nitrous (out of business), koding (i want a milk sample and not the whole cow), heroku, ideone.com, Digital Ocean, Codebunk, MadEye.io (site not available), Kobra.io, Codebox (offline), Floobits, Codeshare, ScreenHero/slack, Code Pad
yes, it looks like a c9.io drop-in-replacement: CodeAnywhere
with suggestions from @udayk8139