CMS, hosting, where should I start just to fiddle at the beginning?

That’s really funny because I didn’t understand anything you just said… I’ll stick to the previous pieces of advice :slight_smile: and keep yours in mind for later (a decade or so).

Hello from the other side, jk. Hello from Linux :wink:

Oh my god, Adele is on FCC, Adele is on FCC… !

1 Like

Yes, I’ve been dual booting for a long time. I have not had problems, but that’s not to say you won’t. I currently only dual boot on my laptop because it’s not powerful enough for decent vm performance. It has an Intel mobile Ivy Bridge dual core CPU. That’s a few generations old. Brand new platforms will generally have less Linux support, so if your machine is bleeding edge you might have issues. Just boot to the live image before installing - that should give you a fair estimate of what’s working and what’s not.

My desktops have quad cores and a lot of ram, so I host vms on them.

thanks for your feedback - my laptop is fairly recent (a year old maybe?) so I’ll see. Happy New Year !

I’m lost - I’m ready to install VirtualBox and Ubuntu and learn Linux and all that - but when you say “hosting your own server” I obviously don’t understand, and nothing I read clarifies it… Do you mean buying a thing (yes a black rectangular thing that flickers in the night)? Or is that what Cloud9 and DigitalOcean are for?

1 Like

when @PortableStick said “Hosting your own server” , He means running ubuntu server software inside of the virtual box will give you the real feel of what its like to host your own server.

2 Likes

hmm! Ok - I’ve just downloaded Virtual Box - I guess I’ll be busy with that for the next couple of hours !

I think I’ll try cleaning up my laptop from all the stuff I’ve installed and start afresh with Ubuntu (on Virtual Box) and, this time, try to keep track of where I put everything…

1 Like

you will get the hang of everything. It will seem confusing at first and different but dont try to understand it all at once.

just hang out with virtual box and ubuntu and you will get to know them :slight_smile:

1 Like