Coding as a way of coping with difficult time in life

I don’t know how many of you guys actually hoping that coding, as general can help you solve many of your troubles in life.

Whether it would be financial issues, or work related, or you are just like me who dropped out of school because of rare disease.

I just want you guys to know that you are not alone. There are others who are facing the same issues that are trying their very best to code.

Financial issue sucks, I have seen a lot of people here try to change their career because of the salary they are currently getting is way too low to support themselves as well as their families.

But being sick isn’t some piece of cake either. That “I could function as a normal person or I could stuck in my bed for whole day” thinking is always lurking around your mind.

I try to learn programming and use it as a distraction , just to combat those powerless moment.

I hope anyone who is experiencing similar things can relate to this feeling.

If mod think this thread is inappropriate, nuke it. I don’t care.

7 Likes

Zhou… I hope you feel better!

About 20 years ago, me and my family were in a really bad financial situation, also have a new baby, kids, living in a small apartment, etc. Friends giving us food and groceries, and our church helping to pay our overdue bills (several months overdue and about to get cut-off).

I just felt helpless and feeling like a failure.

But during the same time, I was trying to learn website design. I didn’t even consider it as CODING back then because I didn’t even know HTML… I was using a “borrowed” WYSIWYG program – FrontPage :slight_smile: , hoping to make some extra money on the side.

Well, doing website hosting/design/development literally changed our lives. Within a couple of years, we’re moving out of that apartment and buying our own house, a new SUV – then a few months later I was quitting my day job to devote full time to web design/development.

Today, I’m still doing the same thing.

So yes, don’t lose hope… keep coding and learning! The nice thing about web development work is you can do it in the comfort of your own home and keep your own schedule :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply! Hope you are doing well! :slight_smile: