Comment out HTML URGENT HELP!

Tell us what’s happening:

Hello, I can’t seem to get past the HTML comment out challenge. This is my code so far

Html

<!-—
<h1>Hello World</h1>
-—>
<h2>CatPhotoApp</h2>
<!-—
<p>Kitty ipsum dolor sit amet, shed everywhere shed everywhere stretching attack your ankles chase the red dot, hairball run catnip eat the grass sniff.</p-—>

Now I know this can’t be right from the tutorial so far but for some reason if I do this... 

<!-—
<h1>Hello World</h1>
-—>
<h2>CatPhotoApp</h2>
<!-—
<p>Kitty ipsum dolor sit amet, shed everywhere shed everywhere stretching attack your ankles chase the red dot, hairball run catnip eat the grass sniff.</p>
-—>
It says I’m wrong but it accepts the “obviously” wrong code. Anyways I am very new to this so maybe there are different ways to code at this basic level. Now my challenge is “end each comments with —> , how do I achieve this? I have been stuck for 2 days now. Please help, ANYONE. Thanks!!!

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 12_3_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/12.1.1 Mobile/15E148 Safari/604.1.

Link to the challenge:
https://learn.freecodecamp.org/responsive-web-design/basic-html-and-html5/comment-out-html/

Make sure you are using the correct dashes -. If you turn off smart punctuation it may be easier.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. I am using the correct dashes. I don’t know why it appears weird when I type it in twice on this forum but it is the right one. I just don’t understand why it means by “close each comment with - -> ( had to double space so you see i am using the right one), when it clearly states that I should only comment out my “h1” and “p”elements. Any experience with this particular issue? I feel like my learning has stalled. It’s quite a downer.

Are you just posting to the forum on your phone or are you doing the challenges on the phone as well?

This is your code (the bottom version) where I have changed the dashes.

<!--
<h1>Hello World</h1>
-->
<h2>CatPhotoApp</h2>
<!--
<p>Kitty ipsum dolor sit amet, shed everywhere shed everywhere stretching attack your ankles chase the red dot, hairball run catnip eat the grass sniff.</p>
-->

If you copy and paste that into the challenge does it pass the test for you?

When I run the tests on the second segment of the code you posted (but with the correct dashes), it passes the test for me. Are you absolutely sure the longer dashes aren’t being inserted into your code somehow?

Yes I am doing the challenges in my phone for now. Unfortunately Freecodecamp does not work on my IPad (you wouldn’t happen to know how I can fix this issue, would you?)I just don’t understand how. I could not copy and paste though but I did realize that somehow hen I put I. The dashes in quick succession it brings out the longer dash. I corrected this by typing in the first dash , space, delete and another dash and it worked beautifully. Thank you.

Yes, they are being inserted somehow. I have found a fix for this though thanks to your observation. I am on to my next challenge. Thanks you for your time.

What exactly doesn’t work? You have to be more specific.

I don’t have any personal experience with using the curriculum on mobile devices, but overall, I do not think it was made with full support for mobile devices in mind. It may work for parts of the curriculum.