Completed half of the Basic Algorithm Challenges - is it too fast?

Hello, everybody!

I have started being active on Free Code Camp around a week ago. I completed the introduction quite easily as I have already had some familiarity with HTML, CSS and a bit of JavaScript.

However, I am still quite a newbie. In the past two days, I have completed half of the basic algorithm challenges. What is your opinion about this progress? Is it too fast? Should I move more slowly? I always make sure to take notes and remember new methods and features, as well as understand the code fully before moving on. Still, I am a bit unsure about the pace - on the site 50 hours is listed for these challenges, and considering this speed, I am going to finish them in around 8 hours total.

By the way, it is such a pleasure being a member of FCC community! The curriculum, chat, forum - everything is incredible!
Thank you @QuincyLarson for making this possible! :slight_smile:

I donā€™t think thereā€™s such a thing as too fast as long as you get it done and understand it. Itā€™s possible the hours listed refer to complete coding newbies who have never written anything and itā€™s a rough estimate - it took me only a few hours to get through the basics - because I had some history

However, itā€™ll get harder, when you get to the intermediates - i promise :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, @Milos2709. I wouldnā€™t say itā€™s too fast. If you can blaze through the algorithm challenges then blaze through them! I did that too (though now Iā€™m at a bit of a snailā€™s pace in the projects :sweat_smile:, but thatā€™s just me ). But do try to understand how your code does itā€™s job.

This one :smiling_imp:

I actually was cruising along pretty well - the primes one I had actually solved earlier on project euler - but then that stupid common multiples one - and iā€™ve seen people talk about the ā€˜change making oneā€™ - iā€™m not looking forward to that.

heā€™s got a point there - i suck at design - like terribly - so while i did the tribute page i never did the portfolio page (plus i donā€™t have much for a portfolio right now save for a link to in progress github projects in ruby on rails) - and doing JSON requests got tiresome so I skipped the wikipedia one and twitc.tv one - iā€™ll go back to them at some point so i can get the certificate if i make it that far - but heā€™s right - enjoy the easy parts

@Milos2709, I would work at the pace most comfortable to you, but I also think there is something to be said for slowing down and taking time to absorb concepts that might be new. Sometimes I try to go back and look at challenges I completed in the past so I donā€™t lose too much as I fly through the exercises.

Everyone learns at a different pace, nothing is wrong with being a fast learner. Just enjoy it. If you feel like youā€™re not being challenged enough, you can try out the ā€œeasyā€ problems on interview practice sites like leetcode.

Thank you everybody for your sincere and detailed answers. I really appreciate it. I canā€™t wait to get to the intermediate algorithms and projects! I really like a challenge. :slight_smile:

@vkg Thanks for the site. It seems really great! :smile:

Great question. Iā€™ve had the same question. Blazing through the first part and in need of more challenge. Great answers too.

Youā€™ll get it - trust me
I will admit that the first ā€˜challengingā€™ exercise was the smallest common multiple exercise in the intermediate algorithm exercises - iā€™d call that the inflection point

And the steamroller is the real killer (for me at least)

I donā€™t believe Iā€™ve gotten to that one yet - the smallest common multiple one i mentioned i JUST finished on wednesday night (well realy thursday morning at 1 am) so i took yesterday off from coding (i really have to start working on my resume too - but hey) and havenā€™t looked at rails for the 10 days iā€™ve been doing this so I donā€™t know when iā€™ll hit the steam roller one.

Itā€™s not too far off from smallest common multiple (and not too far off from the last intermediate algorithm challenge either)

Iā€™ve seen people in the javascript chat room ask about the ā€˜changeā€™ one as well - which is not only complicated looking the instructions are in need of improvement :slight_smile:

I donā€™t like that one, because of all the floating points.

floating points are easy to eliminate - youā€™ve got math floor, youā€™ve got parseInt - floating points arenā€™t too hard - they are sadly an issue of programming inexactness with numbers

Youā€™re welcome. I hope it gives you ideas for more advanced topics you can study. I find some of the easy problems actually easy but many really need you to review a data structures texbook :relaxed: For more basic exercises there is also codingbat or nodingbat.

1 Like