Computer scientist stuck at a non coding job not sure what to do

Computer scientist stuck at a non coding job not sure what to do

It’s been two years since I graduated school. Since then I switched roles 3 times but always ended up with jobs that were not coding related. I do a lot of leetcode but I want to do a project now basically something I can show off. But I am unable to pick what should I do front end, backend, apis. Should I learn a new language first or do a project in language I already know. Basically I feel superlost. Sorry, for really broad question and bad english(non native speaker)
TL;DR I am looking for a project that is cool, fun and helpful to make but also is not too daunting
Thanks for help

0 Likes

Why don’t you start by doing all the projects on freecodecamp first?

I am sure inspiration for more sophisticated project will pop pup on this journey.

0 Likes

I’m in much the same boat, @js5395, many many skills front- to back-end, and crossing the divide from “having skills” to “monetizing said skills” is a difficult gap to hurdle.

If you have the skills you claim, the first thing I strongly suggest is get involved in projects. Set up gits, or join open-source projects and push updates on other people’s gits. Getting involved not only shows you have the skills to code, but to work on a team.

Having the skills isn’t really enough, you also need the world to KNOW you have them. Get involved in another way – answer questions. There are five different “Help, I’m coding and I can’t get unstuck!” boards I frequent. The big three I advise you look at are:

1. FCC forums (here – these folks are dynamic and active. Somehow, I’m starting to get a reputation as “not a complete idiot” here).
  2. stackOverflow – there are a number of focus groups you can choose to get involved with, by filtering by “tags”. I tend to frequent the “javascript”, “jquery” and “php” tags. Not sure why, it’s where I’ve landed.
  3. sitepoint – I was active here a number of years ago, and I’ve recently gotten more and more involved. There are always questions, many of them interesting, some frustrating, but always questions.

Why does this matter?

• First, you’re keeping your skills fresh and challenged. If you don’t use it, you’ll lose it.
  • Second, in the case of stackOverflow, my profile includes a score – I include a link to that when I’m talking to recruiters or potential employers. That score is based on how my answers have fared – points are awarded for upvotes, or for your answer being chosen as “the solution”. The higher your score, the more “credibility” the coding world is awarding you.
  • Third, a warm fuzzy feeling. And the fact that your peer group start seeing you as a valuable resource.

From the stackoverflow thing alone, I have gotten involved in some pretty deep tutoring projects, which have given me some great portfolio fodder, and connections in both the professional and education spheres.

These suggestions won’t get you a job tomorrow, or even next week. But they will help you build a reputation, and in this field, that will carry you far.

0 Likes

thanks for your reply much appreciate it will follow these steps

1 Like

You want to do a project to “show off”, then start a project that is near what you can do now. If you can’t pick between front-end, back-end, or just using API’s, then why not do all three. Unless you’ve done a full stack app before, I think you would only have a “high-level” idea of what it takes to do everything in each area. The best way to find out what it takes it to literally go out and see what it takes.

Unlike most things in life, the only thing you really need is a laptop, an internet connection and time. Everything else is up to you, including what you set your eyes on and go out and try to build.

I’m not saying go out and build Facebook from the ground up, but set your goal to where you want to get too or be able to know how todo. If your not sure if you even want to be full stack but might want to be full stack then just try to build a full stack app. You will learn more about the technologies, and yourself in the process than any other approach. If you need a topic than just make one up (food, dogs, todo list, twitter clone, etc)

It’s up to you how hard you want to set things, but I suggest making it hard enough you will have to learn something new. Odds are you will struggle and fail, but that’s where you learn the most. Don’t make things so easy you won’t learn much (building a calculator, or static profile)

Finally, without knowing your financial situation you should spend your free-time doing this, don’t go out and quit your job to try things out, unless your financially stable and can afford it.

Goodluck, and happy building :smiley:

1 Like