Hello fellow campers!
I have been coding part-time for the past 16 months and honestly do not have much to show for it. I guess this post can serve the purpose of a self-evaluation for myself that I am okay with sharing.
I know that freeCodeCamp is not quite exactly the place to seek professional career advice but I hope to get some feedback regarding how I can change my approach and spark some new motivation.
- completed #100daysofcode(I’m on like Day 188 or something. )
- I do keep a daily journal(to myself) for self accountability
- I have made a spreadsheet detailing my goals and weekly schedule focused on coding(unfortunately little of the goals been achieved )
- average about 20+ hours of coding and learning weekly
- read a lot blog post, e-books and listen to podcast relating to coding and technology
- completed Colt’s Steel WBD course(highly recommended, great learning experience)
- joined a Chingu cohort this past May(highly recommended, great learning experience)
- here is our Twitter clone app: https://chingu-chirpper.herokuapp.com/timeline/chingu
- have done several pair programming sessions at local Meetups and on Codewars
- started React(Andrew Mead) course on Udemy last month
- attended a few Meetup’s from time to time
- as far as my current knowledge and know-how:
- before the current release of FCC, I was on the intermediate algorithm section
- familiarity of jQuery, Bootstrap, Express and Mongo
- familiarity of RESTful design and methodology
- understanding of Git and Github workflow
- understanding of workflow and communication tools: Slack, Trello and Discord
- only one decent project(mentioned above) to show on my portfolio
- have not written any medium blogs
- have not contributed to open source
- have not taught someone else how to code
- basically have not given back much to the community
- improve on all the “Bad” above
- build a React app
- build a fullstack(MERN) app
- join another Chingu cohort
- join a hackathon
- land a full-time web development job or internship/contract gig.
So what is your take on what I have accomplished so far? What can I do to help improve my chances of becoming marketable and getting a developer job?
Thank you for taking the time to read my post!