Continue Or Not To Continue

Continue Or Not To Continue

You can help me out then!

Then find something where you are your best at. :slight_smile:

Don’t take me wrong but I think that you don’t really like programming. I’m an intern in a company and everyday I need to handle with projects using MeteorJS that I have no idea what the code does and sometimes I don’t even understand the code, even worst, sometimes I need to build something that I never learned how to do it, which makes my brain get an overflow error, but the thing is that I don’t mind because I love coding \o/
Like Johnny Bizzel said, if you don’t like programming, don’t waste your time on it, life is to short. And it doens’t matter if you change to another language, and to be honest with you JavaScript is not that hard to learn.
BUT if you really like programming, then take things slowly. When you start feeling overwhelmed and bored with what you’re coding, start building apps or websites, the best way to learn a language is to practice.
Well, that’s it, good luck man!

7 Likes

How could I help you?

Sure. You can start with explaining why you are fed up. Give us lots of details.

2 Likes

You know those little tasks that I couldn’t solve for myself and saw their solutions - kills me inside.
I can’t imagine myself coding lines of codes while sticking to those tasks. I’m totally sure that little kids can solve them very easily.
And concerning predestination. I can compose some music but it’s also not so good. I’m tearing apart between these ideas: whether continue to learn “the web” or to give up and start over again.

You said you are “good at everything”. Then you are good at helping others?
We all need help sometimes.

If you hate programming, then you should quit. Why would you want to pursue a career in a field you hate? There is nothing wrong with deciding it’s “not for you”. Maybe your skills of interests lie elsewhere. There is no shame in not being a coder. It doesn’t mean that you aren’t smart, it just means that it isn’t for you. My wife is one of the smartest people I know but would be the worlds worst coder.

But if your frustration is because you really, really want to be a coder but are frustrated about how difficult it is - then join the club. We all have times like that.

I don’t know if a “new language” is the right idea - the concepts are pretty universal. Maybe FCC isn’t for you. FCC requires a lot of self motivation and a lot of research skills. But these are good skills for a coder to have.

My advice would be to start chipping away at what is frustrating you. I keep a list called “Things I Don’t Understand” next to my computer. It’s a long list, but getting shorter. They’re things I ran into that didn’t quite make sense. Usually I got though them but didn’t have the understanding I would have wanted. When I’m bored, I start reading about them or watching youtube videos about them. If I get really stuck, I ask the forum of SO. Just start chipping away.

5 Likes

irritating ?
it has architectural quivers, but I wouldn-t call them sores or irritations of any kind.
Any coding language has their own shortcomings.
I’d say it has a tough curve, but once you dig deep into the meat of the ocncepts, you can take on the world!!!

1 Like

I think you don’t need any advice because you said, you are good at everything. :grinning:

2 Likes

When I started programming I wasn’t sure if I liked it. I went into it because it’s an in demand skill that I am good at. (Also, I do consider myself good at most things I work on like you).

For the first few months I wasn’t excited about it. Pushing into arrays. Styling with CSS. Nothing exciting. I went from FCC to an online bootcamp for 2 months that I quit.

Now I am doing Colt’s course on Udemy. I LOVE IT. What’s the difference? You build awesome projects. You follow along programming several really cool projects and he get’s you to this point very fast. At least for me it was fast because I already knew a lot of the foundation at this point.

I think there is a certain amount of skillset you acquire in programming and at that point it becomes exciting because you realize you can build soo many cool things.

1 Like

Hi,

Programming is not all about the web.

I can imagine that people like programming very much but absolutely hate the web environment. Do not fear.

When you know your math consider to learn C and C++. There are many companies in the real tech-sector that are searching for people with these skills. So your next job: program the engine emission of a Volkswagen and this time without the fraud :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What drew you to programming in the first place? Was it the idea of being able to make software, or make new things in general? Because coding isn’t the only role in making software.

Maybe try focusing on design instead? Like, visual design for the front-end, something like that?

I think that a “design role” is a luxury role, when the company is making less money, you are too (if not fired).

Every time I write a program I am creating something new. So it is not about writing code but it is about delivering something new or better (how small or big the program is? Not important).

Well there are definitely jobs in UI UX design out there. Very important if you ask me.

I think that a “design role” is a luxury role

Totally disagree. The success of a product or app will depend on a good user experience. That’s design.

1 Like

Do you know about Linux? From its inception, it’s been pretty great code-wise. But it took forever to get much of a market share as a desktop OS, despite being free and awfully stable. Why? It’s not the “first mover advantage” Microsoft had, which more often than not isn’t important–we know this because Apple, with its fabulous design, got a pretty decent market share.

The problem was that Linux was very much a nerd OS for ages. And what made it a nerd OS was the fact that you had to know what you were doing, because the UI wasn’t very good even if the command line was. More people are using Linux as a desktop OS these days, because the UI design has gotten better. Unfortunately, making it better took long enough that Windows has a huge lead in what applications it can run, so Linux still has to catch up with that.

That’s how important design is. You can have a superior product, but if it isn’t easy to use and doesn’t look nice, no one will want it anyway. Design is only a “luxury role” in companies that don’t recognize this. And if they fire the designer because they’re making less money, that’s another nail in their coffin–you want to get into a different job ASAP anyway.

1 Like

Yes, big companies like Oracle, Microsoft etc need their designers, no doubt. But I was referring (but did not mention that) to the smaller software companies ( 1 - 50 employees). In the Netherlands a company pay an awful lot taxes to hire somebody. When it goes bad it is for the manager clear that costs must be cut. Then some of the employees will be fired.
He has to choose: who are extemelly important and who are not. It depends of course on the situation. But as I see it, most programmers are loaded with tasks.

I would try The Web Developer Bootcamp on Udemy or go a completely other route.

Try learning Python and then come back to web programming. It should be a lot
easier if you know Python.

1 Like

I always got that feeling at times I feel like I should stop but I always ask my self what make me start FCC in the first place and that is being a better version of my self but financially and career-wise.
just focus on that my friend and follow the fcc program it very good

So. Here are my 2 cents. Programming is either something you love or hate. If you are on the fence, build something you want. Decide if it brought you joy. If it did, keep at it. If not, not everyone is a programmer find what you love and do that.

1 Like