As you may have heard, @no-stack-dub-sack, @paycoguy, and @Christian-Paul have been hard at work building projects with testable user stories. We are looking for a few volunteers to attempt to build these based on their automated tests.
This is a brand-new project that should be a ton of fun to build: a Choropleth Map! Note that the test suite may not yet work in browsers other than Chrome.
The goal is for campers to be able to build these projects step by step following user stories. This will make the projects less intimidating and more fun. Oh, and don’t worry - we’ll still have plenty of optional projects where we don’t provide you with any tests. And if you’ve previously built these projects, you don’t need to build them again.
If you’re interested in attempting this, please reply to the thread and let us know you’ve started it. The more people who want to build this, the better, as we can start gathering feedback.
Thanks, and happy coding!
Here is the sample project http://codepen.io/freeCodeCamp/pen/EZKqza
Here is the pen for campers to fork http://codepen.io/freeCodeCamp/pen/MJjpwO
Here are the data sets you need for this project:
For this project, we will be utilizing D3 to make a Choropleth Map:
A choropleth map (from Greek χῶρος (“area/region”) + πλῆθος (“multitude”)) is a thematic map in which areas are shaded or patterned in proportion to the measurement of the statistical variable being displayed on the map, such as population density or per-capita income.
- My Choropleth should have a title with a corresponding
- My Choropleth should have a description with a corresponding
- My Choropleth should have counties with a corresponding
class="county"that represent the data.
- There should be at least 4 different fill colors used for the counties.
- My counties should each have
"data-education"properties containing their corresponding fips and education values.
- My Choropleth should have a county for each provided data point.
- The counties should have
data-educationvalues that match the sample data.
- My Choropleth should have a legend with a corresponding
- There should be at least 4 different fill colors used for the legend.
- When I mouse over a county, a
<div>element with corresponding
id="tooltip"should become visible.
- My tooltip should have a
"data-education"property that corresponds to the given education of the active county.