Declare String Variables need help

Tell us what’s happening:

When i click run test nothing seems to happen also notice that my strings don’t seem to change to red the way the ones in the example do. I have tried this on both safari and chrome on my iPad Pro. I have also tried using both double quotes”” and single quotes’’ and neither seem to work. I am having a similar issue in the 2 lessons after this one as well.

On a side note. When doing the decriment a variable in java script lesson i had an issue where when typing myVar—; was becoming one solid line rather than two - - symbols.

So im not sure if it is just something weird that is happening because i am on an ipad or what the case may be.

Thank you for your time and help.

Your code so far

// Example
var firstName = "Alan";
var lastName = "Turing";

// Only change code below this line

var myFirstName = “cory”;
var myLastName = “pelletier”;

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 11_4_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/604.1.34 (KHTML, like Gecko) CriOS/67.0.3396.87 Mobile/15G5054c Safari/604.1.

Link to the challenge:
https://learn.freecodecamp.org/javascript-algorithms-and-data-structures/basic-javascript/declare-string-variables

Okay thank you that did the trick. For some reason when i use my keyboard it changes the way the quotes work. It worked fine with the touchscreen quotes though. I will try this on the other lessons as well and see if that helps. I am using a Logitech keyboard just for reference.

Thank you for your time and help
Cory

Okay im having a bit of an issue with this quotation mark thing. Ive been able to solve the double quote issue by using the touch screen keyboard rather than a peripheral one but on another lesson where i am required to use both single and double quotes my single quotes are not working properly regardless of which keyboard i use. Do you have any ideas for a solution to this or do i just need to use an actual computer rather than an iOS device?

I don’t know what levels of control over peripherals iOS gives you or whether different keyboards would behave differently. I do know that Android devices have several “programmer keyboard” apps. I assume that Apple has similar apps.

You have to disable smart quotes:

1 Like