Developing In MVC

Just a general question but I am an ASP.NET MVC Developer and scrolling through a few of the threads I don’t see much, if any, discussion on developing using MVC or anything? I mean it encompasses C#, HTML, CSS, JS, Entity Framework and much more, but since I don’t see anything concerning it in these threads, it’s making me think that it is outdated or just frowned upon by many.

Idk, maybe I’m wrong but just wondering why it isn’t discussed more? I think learning MVC is a great pathway to learn, since it’s architecture is based on separation of concerns which creates greater maintainability and longevity of a web application, but maybe I’m biased haha.

I look forward to reading your responses!

3 Likes

I think that it’s just been out of scope for this curriculum so far.

1 Like

This site focuses on JavaScript as the main language for both front-end and back-end development. I’m also an ASP.NET MVC developer, but this site doesn’t go into any of the other languages that can be used for back-end like Ruby, Java, C#, PHP, etc. However, if you need to beef up your JavaScript skills, like myself, then this site will help you dig deeper into some of the functionality.

1 Like

The purpose of the curriculum so far is to focus on the MEAN stack. This should not imply that MVC is outdated or frowned on by many. I know of several people here on FreeCodeCamp who have focused on MVC or PHP and not the MEAN stack. Also, do not think that MVC is “banned” from FCC simply because it is not discussed. Feel free to ask MVC questions on the forum; there are several questions on here about MVC, as well as questions about PHP another thing we have not focused on yet. Basically our focus is full-stack javascript. This is why our curriculum focuses on React/Angular/Vue, Node, Express, and Mongo in our challenges. You can use whatever you want for our projects however. For example, if you like MVC you can make your voting app inn MVC and would still be able to claim the certificate.

So basically it is not discussed a lot, because most people here use the MEAN stack. MVC is good, but the MEAN stack is also good. It is a matter of choice, and if you want to use MVC, by all means do it!

Again, I know many people who decided to learn it, and are happy with it. The MEAN stack is also very good, and a lot of other campers as well as myself have decided to focus on it. Node.js and the MEAN stack has several advantages such as: performance, npm and ecosystem, single language (a little easier for newer people to learn who already know JavaScript), and scalability. And of course in Node, there are many design patterns that accomplish the same sort of thing as MVC, but you get to do it all in one language.

Design patterns are more in the architectural domain, which is often considered to be intermediate to advanced. FCC, on the other hand, starts out with lessons for beginners.

I am not exactly a developer, but I maintain legacy applications written in ASP.NET MVC. I came to FCC because it covers completely different topics from the Microsoft realm. I am actually hoping to NOT see any MVC library or framework in the FCC curriculum as I am not too fond of ASP.NET MVC.

I had to look up “ASP.NET MVC” to see if “MVC” meant something else in that context. Assuming you mean “Model View Controller”, the MEAN stack doesn’t preclude you from using MVC design patterns at all. In fact, Angular (the A in MEAN) forces “encourages” you to do so. I also appreciate MVC’s enforced separation of concerns.

Or I could be grossly mistaken. Just don’t want anyone to get the impression that it’s MEAN vs MVC. They are not mutually exclusive, competing, or incompatible concepts.