Do I really need 3 consoles (git, git shell, cmd)?

I don’t remember much about Windows 3.1 now (except for the games I played on it like Myst), but I’m surprised it’s the only one you’ve liked, has Windows actually degraded that much over the years?

Heh, well true enough. But for all the foibles that Windows has, including the occasional BSODs that I still get on W10, I still like it enough to put up with it on a regular basis—and if I need to use 3 consoles to do programming on it, then so be it! :wink:

I just use the Git CMD. For the most part, there’s no problem with it doing everything. The Windows 7 terminal won’t do git commands, but sometimes the Git terminal has a problem with package installs. Just thought multiple terminals came with the Windows territory. :smiley:

2 Likes

I installed VS Code and use their git integration thing while running whatever commands (jekyll/gulp/etc) I need and that’s made my life a lot easier. Before this though I was doing just fine with using Command Prompt. It’s funny, I installed Ubuntu recently on an old laptop and I keep forgetting that I need to type in sudo.

What would be great though is if Windows somehow managed to have tabs on Command Prompt. (Or is this already possible?)

Plus vote here for CMDER, its a great upgrade to CMD terminal.

I’ve spent the last couple of hours trying to get a terminal plugin working in Atom so I can compile scss easily…

Install this, install that, still not working. Damned you node and damned you Sass. Keep your Python and Ruby and your 27 other dependencies. I installed them all as you asked but you still complain. I’ll carry on with CSS instead I think. Had enough of this for one day. :rage: shame on you.

1 Like

It’s built on ubuntu. I’m usually in Linux anyway, so I’ve only used it a little, but it seems pretty impressive.

4 Likes

I might just give that a try… I’ve installed half the internet today, may as well try linux whilst the lines hot.

Which distro would you recommend for a noob?

1 Like

4 Likes

I’m using Ubuntu.
I started learning to code with Odin Project which teaches Ruby, and what you described there was my daily reality :wink:
Ruby just doesn’t work on windows.

I tried it a while ago, but it seems impossible :slight_frown:
Visual Studio Code has a built-in terminal :thumbsup:

you can tell that pics fake anyway,

the shadow is too long and the flag is blowing the wrong direction.

3 Likes

Downloading Ubuntu now, was getting curious anyway i suppose

@BenGitter I’m just getting a blank screen in the atom terminal that wont let me type anything in it… the fix apparently was to switch cmd to legacy mode, then install gyp and all its dependencies including python. Damned thing didn’t know where it had installed python though even when I added the path. So annoying and I swear my PC is a bit slower now. I’ll give VS code a try too just so I can kick myself for not looking in there when I wanted a terminal

1 Like

Windows rides to the rescue! A picture worthy of framing… You tell em Ben…

1 Like

Ruby works absolutely just fine on Windows… I did a goodly chuck of The Odin Project on Windows.

1 Like

It was meant with tongue-in-cheek :slight_smile:

Oops… Sorry about that - my tongue and cheek-o-meter must need to be calibrated!

1 Like

Success… or should I say scss bwahaha

2 Likes

You should know (if you don’t already) that the various Linux distributions in regular use will have different options for a display manager. So, if you end up not liking Ubuntu’s default desktop environment (Unity), you can install KDE, Cinnamon, Gnome 3, and more. I also really like Manjaro, which is a totally different distro.

1 Like

I can’t get ubuntu dual booted for some stupid reason. I have the disc right, but it always freezes at the start screen. I think my BIOS/UEFI or something is screwing it up. I’m stuck with Windows for a while now :frowning: