Do we have to use info sec project boilerplates?

The info security projects each have a description something like this…

Working on this project will involve you writing your code on Glitch on our starter project. After completing this project you can copy your public glitch url (to the homepage of your app) into this screen to test it! Optionally you may choose to write your project on another platform but it must be publicly visible for our testing.

Start this project on Glitch using this link or clone this repository on GitHub! If you use Glitch, remember to save the link to your project somewhere safe!

I'm wondering if it's necessary to clone the github or glitch "starter project" provided, or if I can just build from scratch - I'm not sure what the `optionally` sentence means, does that mean I can just host it wherever I want, or I can build it however I want? There's some testing files or something along with some other files in the "starter projects" that I'm not sure if they're needed for me to submit the project - I would rather build from scratch is what I'm getting at, or perhaps delete some of the files I don't think I need, but I'm not sure if that will make the project not complete or not pass a test or something.

Yes, you should start from a starter template. It contains codes that will enable you to pass the challenges.

Thanks for the reply - what challenges? where? There’s just a place to enter a url to submit the projects, and the boilerplate or example projects don’t have any built in testing like most of the other projects - how will I know if I passed all the challenges?