Do you guys experience mental fatigue while coding for a longer period of time?

Is it a normal thing to experience the above while coding for a longer period of time?

I noticed that sometimes, my brain is no longer assimilating all that I l try to code/learn after roughly 2 hours and besides I like to multi-task. But at the end of the day - I gain something small.

Who else experiences this or is just a personal thing?
P.S: For each day, I like to code, read novels, solve maths at the same time code.

You are not alone my freind. As an undergrad student, I experience this on a daily basis.
It feels like everything is flowing over. Just understand that this is pretty normal.

Tips to tackle - Use Pomodoro. Start with 25 min work - 5 min break. Adjust as it suites
you.

Take a long break (20 min +) after 2 hrs or so.
Do some unrelated activity - preferably some physical work, going for a walk, stretching, etc.

Personal experience - I quit competitive coding for 2 months ( Jan and Feb this year) bcoz of the same burnout. My performance has improved tremendously since I returned. Taking breaks actually helps in learning.

1 Like

I would say, avoid multitasking.
Instead do the things you like in chunks or time blocks.

25 min coding - 15 min reading - 25 min coding - 15 min maths with breaks in between.
Adjust the time slots as per your liking.

1 Like

Thanks for reply @jaswindersbm
I will definitely give it a shot.

25 min coding - 15 min reading - 25 min coding - 15 min maths with breaks in between.
Adjust the time slots as per your liking.

1 Like

Exercise should get you a little bit winded, but not falling over or causing pain. Same goes for mental exercise – if you don’t feel a bit taxed at the end, either do more or do something more challenging. If you feel wiped out, dial it down.

1 Like