Do you guys feel this way when you are coding?

2 Likes

hhahahh right in the feels . XD

@naeemrind Man, same hereā€¦ I started FCC in September and Iā€™m 245 pts in, and all I have to show is two static webpages. I spend so much time reading the mess that is the internetā€™s suggestions on which framework/library/stack is the best, watching videos, reading discussions, but almost no time actually coding which I believe has hindered progress significantly.

3 Likes

I might be wrong, but sometimes I felt that this is the right track to be on.
If someone thinks that: wow this is so easy, I can learn CSS and HTML in like 2,3 months and I am a pro, I knew everything about it. That is a huge alarmā€¦ The more you dive deep into it, the more you will find that :"ohā€¦wow, I didnā€™t know that rule, " a lot of the things are really specific, and it takes time and experience to know all that.

Often times when I am coding I feel like I am drilling a dull bit into my own headā€¦

And then I think i get it, and try what I think should work, its frustrating, so yeah, great deal of research and searching.

Taking a step away often helps. Also Rubber Ducking it lets me put it in a different perspective.

Good luck!

2 Likes

haha dude. relax. to some extent we all feel this way.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been at it for 3 months and I am moving slowly. Slowly because I read a lot of articles, forum posts, books, watch a lot of videos, etc. I really enjoy the whole process of immersing myself into the world of programming and just accepting that I know nothing. Sure I can make a simple webpage and solve basic algorithms, but I understand that there is an infinite amount of information to learn. Iā€™m ok with that. I read an article this week that mentioned that putting progress bars on your portfolio page was a bad idea because it implied that you knew the percentage of what is left to learn. Thatā€™s very presumptuous. I get it - youā€™re never done learning a language or framework 100%.

3 Likes

I felt exact the same way.

Haha, case in point, I just spent 15 minutes reading about best practices for the use of buttons on your web pages (currently working on creating forms). There are so many useful things to know itā€™s not even funny :neutral_face:

1 Like

Haha. I always like to tease people when they scratching their head when they were trying to find out how to write the code. Until me myself doing it.:smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp: lol jk. You will find all these little efforts worth it. About creating form though, I remembered I created one according to one youtube tutorial and then I remade it with bootstrap, cos I thought the form was not responsive and caused a lot of issue in my portfolio page, then I realised it wasnā€™t the formā€™s problem. It was a <a> tag I used. Then I changed it back. Then after all these I found out that there were some ways to decorate the form you are creating. Currently reading on that topic. Good luck !

1 Like

It is perfectly the right feeling. I usually stress myself over this because I didnā€™t know any better, I thought that everyone just seem to ā€œHave itā€ when it comes to coding. So I developed this idea that you have to be exceptionally technical to code.

This was almost a decade ago and there wasnā€™t much help from anyone like we have today where we can share stories and experiences. Now I know that most people have the same issue. It is encouraging to know that this is the right path.

Just keep coding. If there is a problem, just keep cracking at it. I find that abstract ideas will naturally make sense once you encountered a problem that requires it. It is only then that the abstract idea make sense. :smiley:

2 Likes

Totally agree. I can sit there watching tutorials for hours on end and the information will not stick, but if I actually get to use it in a project, things just fall into place. Thatā€™s why I like the freeCodeCamp approach so much.

2 Likes