<em>How to speed up Portfolio page?</em> =)

Hi, everyone! :grinning::fire:
Iā€™m a very beginner and I made my first page.
I would like to have some advices about how to speed up my Portfolio and websites in general on front-end side.
Webtool like this tells:
Combine external JavaScript
Leverage browser caching
I understand that it refers to FCC part too, but still, mb somebody can give some advice or tell where to read about it. Because, I am a bit confused after intense googling without proper background.:sweat:
Of course, some code review, any suggestions about design, functionality, fonts, whatever would be awesome.

Combine external JavaScript

Probably just means putting all your JS files into one single file, so thereā€™s only one request for it.

Leverage browser caching

Hereā€™s something from Google about this: Leverage Browser Caching  |  PageSpeed Insights  |  Google for Developers
You can do this via .htaccess according to this SitePoint article. From what I gather you can also do this with your CSS/JS files by doing style.css?ver=1.00? Iā€™m not 100% sure about this though.

The actual PageSpeed test is pretty helpful because it gives you links to documentation (and optimized image assets) if you donā€™t pass their standards. Put in your favourite blog or something to see the full list of what they test on.

Comments about your portfolio:

• The colours are really nice! Make that hire button stand out more though, I didnā€™t notice it until the second time around.
  • I noticed that your scroll animation was a bit slow? Thereā€™s a visible pause between when the items appear so maybe speed that up a bit. (I should note that I didnā€™t use your anchor links, I just scrolled straight down.)
  • Give more space between/around your portfolio items, especially since youā€™re embedding pens. Iā€™d love to avoid the embeds while scrolling down so I donā€™t have to scroll through the embeds first before the whole page.
  • Your layout functions really well on a larger screen!
  • Donā€™t forget your label for your input, especially for accessibility. (Hereā€™s an article about that.)
  • sans-serif not sand-serif :wink:
  • I know youā€™re using Bootstrap, and thatā€™s probably why youā€™re using it, but in general try to avoid using important.
1 Like

Thanks a lot for your review!
I read that Google article, even Iā€™ve added expires tag.
About Combine JS/CSS I understood in the same way, but as I use codepen with links to external libraries it seems impossible. The only thing that comes to my mind is to ā€œcut-offā€ things that i need from bootstrap and jquery and put them in one file, upload it somewhere and link to it.
Especially thanks for ā€œsand-serifā€ :smile:, it is just a typo.
Yeah, about embeds youā€™re absolutely rightā€¦ You know, i just wanted to make it bigger for visibility. Once again, thank you a lot, for your review and links!:+1:
Youā€™re my first code reviewer. Iā€™m really thrilled :blush:

You can always host your projects on GitHub then use something like http://rawgit.com/ to show it off to people. Youā€™d probably get a more accurate speed test this way.

1 Like

Thank you once again!
Cheers! :tada: