English language resources

Hi :slight_smile:

I’m currently learning English and I thought that we could share the resources we use:

3 Likes

Memrise is best for learning new words quickly. It has good review system, badges & leaderboards what feels a bit more motivating than reading a dictionary.
I’m doing my Japanese there http://www.memrise.com/

1 Like

“Grammarly is the world’s most accurate grammar checker”.

I 'm using the free version.

I use duolingo to learn and practice. Intended for beginners and intermediate users.

2 Likes
1 Like

I recently found Clozemaster, so cool!

3 Likes

Thanks @delko I find it really amazing! I also didn’t know what to do after Duolingo :slight_smile:

International Phonetic Alphabet:

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary API gives developers access to a comprehensive resource of dictionary and thesaurus content as well as specialized medical, Spanish, ESL, and student-friendly vocabulary. Make your applications better by integrating our authoritative definitions, etymologies, audio pronunciations, synonyms and antonyms, and more. Our robust API empowers developers to enhance word games and create educational, language learning, and other word-related applications for the digital environment. We look forward to seeing all of the new, innovative products powered by Merriam-Webster’s trusted references.
Free API
The Merriam-Webster Dictionary API is free as long as it is for non-commercial use, usage does not exceed 1000 queries per day per API key, and use is limited to two reference APIs.

IPA translators:

Cheers and happy coding :slight_smile:

Its been years i am using grammarly

Hi all,

When I finished learning the new words or found out it not more useful I started reading the books from the Penguin Readers series. There is a big variety of books to choose. And of course that books are sorted by level of english. It variates from Level 1 to 6.

Level 1 - Beginner - 300 key words
Level 2 - Elementary - 600 key words
Level 3 - Pre-Intermediate - 1200 key words
Level 4 - Intermediate - 1700 key words
Level 5 - Upper-Intermediate - 2300 key words
Level 6 - Advanced - 3000 key words

Here is the link where you can find the list of all the books: https://www.librarything.com/series/Penguin+Readers

1 Like

I second @yhabib with Duolingo. Once you are proficient with English you can select it as your language and you could take many other courses from English to other languages.
I find the web version to be better than the app because it includes also the explaination of the lesson.
At the moment I’m using it for Hebrew.
Happy learning!

There is no need for accent reduction if people can understand you. Anyway, it is not accent reduction. It is accent replacement. You will replace your accent with a native accent.

If your accent is very strong, you can practice English sounds using a phonemic chart, like the one here:
http://www.macmillanenglish.com/pronunciation/interactive-phonemic-charts/
Use it with a good dictionary that shows the phonemic script (IPA). It can take along time to change how you speak English. It takes me a long time to learn new Mandarin sounds.

If you have the money, a tutor can be super helpful. Check out Italki if you’re interested.

And anki is a great tool for vocabs.

Good source shared to learn or get command on English Language.

Anyone knows where can I practice verbal english to get fluency?

Duolingo is great :+1:

Nice step, English is very needed now.