FCC is way too hard for me, what to do?

Free Code Camp and CodeCademy are really hard for me, there are a lot of things I don’t understand and I’m tired of getting stuck all the time and not understanding stuff.
Are there better resources out there for a beginner?
I’m stuck a functions and more complicated loops.

1 Like

Hi

I also got stuck when I started doing Javascript on FCC. I took a look around the www and decided it is best to use some additional resource, because the explanation provided was not enough for me. I am now following through with the explanations on the Mozzila Developer Network webpage https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/JavaScript. I think it works well with FCC. You can read all the theory there, do their challenges and then do some FCC challenges. It was much easier for me this way.

Good luck.

3 Likes

Thank you for the link, but honestly I have trouble understanding this website too. I’m not sure if it’s me or if I’m just not cut out to learn Javascript. Maybe I need to look at something even easier

Have you done the HTML and CSS parts of FCC?

I must say that Javascript is not easy and it takes a while to learn stuff. Don’t give up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Try this one

I can promise you, FCC isnt easy for anyone (well, unless they already know most of whats on here…but talking beginners here…) Something I think is universal is, you will not find everything you need to learn something in one handy resource or on one website…no matter how comprehensive, there will still be times when you will need to do some research and find more information that explains a concept in a different way that you may understand it better.

In my rotation, I have FCC, Pluralsight, CodeAcadamy, Udacity and for everything else there is Google. The great thing actually, is that one concept can be explained in so many different ways, all it takes is looking for and finding the information that gives you that a-ha moment.

A great thing about FCC (I think, though I know for sure some will disagree lol) is that it isnt an all inclusive source of information for everything you possibly need to know to complete the exercises and projects…it forces one to learn the skill of knowing how to find the right info…which from everything Ive been able to gather is really important on the job. No one can know everything, but being able to know how to find those resources is pretty important.

But yeah, I feel you…it is hard. Took me 2 weeks to finish the basic algorithms…just completed the last one this morning and I literally danced around my livingroom. The harder something is, the sweeter it is when you work it out :smile:

3 Likes

I also had to use outside resources. I used a Udemy course (was £10 at the time) and then also followed/am following the plan on Javascript is sexy - http://javascriptissexy.com/how-to-learn-javascript-properly/

I highly recommend the book Beginning Javascript that is part of the JS is Sexy study plan - though the newer edition doesn’t have the same chapter numbers. It also makes use of the free courses on Codecademy.

I understand that books can go out of date, but I find that my learning style is much more suited to having things written down and explained, not just exercises on a screen. I find the online courses useful for testing things out and practising what i’ve learned elsewhere.

I am still a total JS beginner, you may even know more than me, but I do know that the more different resources I used, the more I began to grasp the concepts of JS and would not have been able to do that with FCC alone.

Best of luck!

Lex