Fear Of Being Slow

Hi, I have this fear that I code too slow despite using all the shortcut keys in vs code. I have been working on my final year project which is a full website with front and backend and it took me like half a day to do up 2 - 3 pages in HTML/SASS/ bootstrap does anyone has this fear as well that if they go out and code in the real working world they cant code fast?

Edit: This is just my paranoid feeling , was wondering what is people normal speed and people expectation when they code in the real world

4 Likes

It is actually a very fast speed for a starter programmer.

Don’t worry and try learning more codes and your speed will automatically improve.

1 Like

That seems very quick to me, and at the least, a very reasonable amount of time to complete 2 - 3 styled pages. Definitely not slow :snail:

Are you just fishing for compliments?? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

No i am serious, i used bootstrap and they are v small pages with reusable headers and footers. Sometimes i have this sort of block when i code like i stare at the screen so i have this panic feeling i am slow. Sorry if i sound very paranoid. Just curious what is the norm of people speed and expectations in the real world.

Well share your pages if you can, or just a screenshot.

If you were just using HTML to markup some very simple pages or a form then 4-5hours is a bit long.

However, you said you were using SASS and bootstrap so I assume the pages are fully styled and responsive. In which case you are really fast, and you must be one of those 10x developers I keep hearing about :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sure i actually just finish documenting the pages for the mockups , kind of nervous cuz its my first real world app my school final year project , im working with my group of 6 and only two people can code so i am soloing the front end with only basic knowledge of front end , html/css/js . And nah , im actually still new , havent found my first job yet only have like 6 months + of self thought web experience.

2 Likes

So you are Infinitely faster than the 4 who can’t code at all (in an IT class). I wouldn’t worry about staring at the screen. I would make sure to take breaks. Have you tried the Pomodoro technique?

3 Likes

I just learnt about the Pomdoro technique earlier today ! Ty for reminding me its definitely worth a shot.

1 Like

erm… that’s really good. In the real world, websites can take weeks (even years depending on the company) to deploy. I wouldn’t worry about being fast, only accurate.

It sounds like your brain is trying to find something to pick out and give you anxiety about. Tell your brain to shut up and stop picking on you.

Doing things right often goes slowly. As you go on, the things that slow you down change. I’ve been doing this professionally for years and last week I spent most of a day adding a message to users that rebooting their device will delete data.

2 Likes

Fear is common while you don’t have experience and think that you should do it faster. It means that you care and want to improve - it’s only an advantage.

When you go further there’s no such thing as writing code quickly, especially if it’s buggy after that. You got to know how to structure, what’s the best/fastest way to use components, so being fast and making mistakes = refactoring the same code again later.

Don’t worry about speed. Better think about, is your time is spent on right things. For example, if you waste time on some css padding, will it really be so impactful on the project? If it is - then spend as much time as you need, if not - do the most impactful thing first (even if it takes a day or two to learn the best way to do it). All of the knowledge will stack up, eventually you won’t need Google (at least for simple tasks ;)). Sometimes it’s hard to unlearn bad practices…

2 Likes

I can type at 80 words per minutes (fast, but not professional typist fast)
But I only program maybe 800 words a day, and the reason for that is you aren’t paid for how much you produce, you are paid for solving problems.

Your solution to a problem could take 3 hours, or 3 minutes, 300 lines, or 3 lines. speed is relative to what your doing. You might be able to create 3 pages in less time it takes to build 1 page. You could be slow, or you could actually be going to fast, where you create low quality work, it all depends on what your doing, but speed is less important than quality, and consistency.

Yes, doing something faster is good, but if you do a bad job, you (or some one else) will end up having todo the work later for you. Focus on the work, not the speed it takes. As long as your within a reasonable time frame, you should be fine.

3 Likes

Unless you are competing for points on HackerRank or a similar website, speed is never at the top of my list for important skills.

1 Like

I have the same feeling from times to times, but talking to other fellow coders I realized that coding is not about speed. I think it’s super common to spend hours making something work and, in the big picture, it’s just a small part of the project.

I guess the questions you really need to ask yourself are: Are you being able to pull off everything you’ve planned for your project? Are you enjoying the results? Are you enjoying the process of making it work? If all answers are yes, keep going, take some breaks as @vipatron said (avoiding burn outs is essential) and keep up the good work! :grinning:

3 Likes

You said that it took you half a day to do 2-3 pages. So what is half a day – 4 hours? That’s pretty good for a newbie. When I build a quote to do website work, I quote 4-6 hours for the design work. All of the ages have the same design, right? So I have the basic page at that point, and all that is left is to fill the pages with content. I quote one hour to fill each page, and add 10% for a fudge factor. They always want some sort of changes along the way, and unless they’re major changes, then I want to be reasonable and include minor changes in the original price. No, it doesn’t sound to me like you are unreasonably slow – just inexperienced. So you can quote 1.5 hours per page, and charge a bit less per hour, to equal out to the same final quote. The end product will still be the same value. I charge $50 per hour, so design and 5 pages would be $550 (11 hours). If your quality of work is the same as mine (in the end), then you could also quote $550. You might take 15 hours to do it, so you’d make $36.66 per hour. Just like any other job, the value of your time increases as your skill does. I’ve been doing this for 12 years. Just like any other skill, you’ll improve with time.

1 Like

I think @Balancedsan , like everyone pointed out, you are just starting. I remember spending 5+ hours just trying to understand basic concepts in code when beginning let alone actually creating something.
But, the funny thing about doing hard work up front is that you get interest back everyday.

3 Likes

Wow. Your pages look nice and professional. I think you’re doing great.

I type slow myself but I think I do it on purpose because when I code I try to think of the best way to code it as i’m typing. My mind is constantly running and sometimes I type what i’m thinking and just totally screw it up.lol. So I think thats normal because every project is different and you have to think it out sometimes when your coding. It’s all logic pretty much. But your webpages look amazing! Usually it’s the end result that counts anyway.