Feedback on my Random Quote project

Hello everyone.

I finished the random quote project and would love to hear your constructive feedback. I used bootstrap 4 and jquery to complete the project. Here’s the link: https://codepen.io/cewert/full/vpeevx/

I’m going to be forcing myself to use bootstrap 4 for all my projects in an attempt to get familiar with it. Do you guys think this is a good idea?

Also, would you guys recommend using an IDE like Sublime text to code in instead of using the codepen IDE? I prefer coding in Sublime but I find it’s a pain to copy/paste all code from sublime to codepen for testing.

Thanks for taking the time to give this a read. Happy coding!

-Charlie

The design is great and everything is working.

I’m going to be forcing myself to use bootstrap 4 for all my projects in an attempt to get familiar with it. Do you guys think this is a good idea?

Sounds like a good idea. Bootstrap 4 is great and it’s only going to get more popular.

Also, would you guys recommend using an IDE like Sublime text to code in instead of using the codepen IDE? I prefer coding in Sublime but I find it’s a pain to copy/paste all code from sublime to codepen for testing.

Yes. 1000 times yes.

I prefer to use GitHub Pages. You can develop locally and push your code to the hosting environment when it’s complete.

Thanks for the feedback Josh. I’m glad everything is working and looks good on your end.

I will definitely check out GitHub pages thanks for the advice.

Do you have any other advice about local dev environment? freeCodeCamp doesn’t seem to focus much on this if at all. Maybe I missed it but I’d like to learn good habits and what tools to use and when but there doesn’t seem to be an obvious path for that.

I know learning git is important so I’m excited to check out github pages. Thanks again

I used this guide to get the hang of Git. It’s written by GitHub, so you can feel pretty confident the material is accurate.

GitHub Pages is very easy to use (guide here). Once your code files are on GitHub (e.g your index.html, scripts.js, and stylesheet.css files), you only have to update setting to publish the content to GitHub Pages:

For the front-end tasks, you don’t really need much more than a text editor to get started developing locally (you can then view your output in Chrome, Firefox, or any web browser). I use both Brackets and VS Code, but any editor (such as Sublime) will be fine.