Feeling a little lost- when things seem complicated

Feeling a little lost- when things seem complicated

So i started to learn Javascript, not from FCC only but other resources as well, I also tried codewars. But it seems my logic is 0 and have no ability to solve simple problems.This means I am not good enough to do this??? I really can/t even do simple problems.

3 Likes

Try Shaun Pellings JS udemy course. Then Andrew Mead udemy JS course. They are like 10$ each. Then study them 3 times, each. It will take you aaprox 3 months of study. Then get Laurence Svekis Monster JS projects course and complete all 45-50 JS projects +1-2month. Then get eloquent javascript book and study +1 month. Then I promise you will be flying during solving JS problems and implementing them. I did all the described steps, now I am frontend dev. Just landed my first job after 7 months of study.

2 Likes

Don’t lose hope. It is normal to feel stupid through the learning process. It is just one of the things you will have to go through in your journey to becoming a software developer. I feel stupid whenever i look at the kind of problems experienced developers are tackling. Just keep at it, one day you will get there.

2 Likes

Hi Elineea,

I find javascript difficult to learn. It’s because I find it difficult to create a picture in my mind of the result of the code I’m writing.

So I’ve been looking into other resources just like you and the others who replied to your post. I’ve found two books that are helpful, because they use good examples and teach in a “non-technical” style.

And last but not least, there is a course on learning how to learn on Coursera, especially useful for students like us. See my other post of today:

1 Like

Don’t punish yourself too much: learning in general is hard. If if it wasn’t, we’d all have PhD’s. Learning programming especially is hard because you have to build up a mental model of computation: state, control flow, data structures, and so on. When it’s your first language, you’ll feel your brain bending into funny shapes. Things eventually do “click” though, and it’s almost always because you’ve internalized the concepts through practice.

So keep at it, but don’t beat yourself up over it. Above all, have fun while learning.

2 Likes

I hear you, I just started JS and I feel the same. I pushed through the whole basic JS challenges and felt 3 steps behind and not grasping the abstract concepts. After I completed them and understanding them to my ability, I went back and realized I picked up more than I thought upon review, but still feel I’m missing something.

Good luck and persist!

Same here but, I don’t want to give up. I don’t want to believe I am not good enough at this :3 yes I fail and get corrected so many times but, even if it’s just a little step each time I get there eventually. It’s hard now and it’s like a freaking maze. But giving up I won’t do ever.