Feeling overwhelmed to start Personal Portfolio

I got stuck on the portfolio way too long. Mainly it will teach you how to guess-try-repeat. When trying to learn something, just doing it badly first can be great way to learn.

I got stuck on the following. The lesson in Free Code Camp was Bootstrap 3 and I’d accidentally set my codepen to Bootstrap 4. What did I learn? I learned that Bootstrap 3 and 4 are very different and that if you use frameworks of any kind you’ll need to be prepared for them to change. As you learn JavaScript and then frameworks, you’ll realize they can be part of manipulating pure HTML+CSS, or maybe a CSS Framework, or part of a full stack. I just feel the emphasis on Bootstrap is out of place and too specific. So I moved on to what I came here for, JavaScript. But you can (and will) keep coming back to that profile as you learn more and more at the camp.

Give it a go and if you get super stuck, move on into the JavaScript portion. Move learning HTML+CSS to a parallel track when you want a break from learning JavaScript. When you get to the point of manipulating pages with the JS you’ve learned, it’s time to switch gears back to HTML/CSS/Bootstrap etc.

2 Likes