Finally got a job

Thanks for sharing about your story. Certainly serves as a model for many of us :slight_smile:

My portfolio isn’t perfect, but here it is.

Congratulations, Kevin. You certainly deserve the opportunity given the work you’ve put in.

And thanks for giving back to the community too. Your post here is really helpful and ultimately encouraging.

My wife and I had to go through the whole long-distance thing and I sympathize. We focused on a lot of communication and small, thoughtful surprise gifts. I’d definitely take advantage of cheap flights if I were you.

Best of luck with the new job.

1 Like

Yeah, my wife and I have done long distance before. I was working on the cruise ship so this will be a lot easier because we can skype whenever we want.

Yeah, little things. Whenever I’m away like this, I always send a postcard a week, just to let her know I’m thinking of her. I have a stack of postcards and postcard stamps and just write one out every Sunday.

2 Likes

:confetti_ball:Congratulations @kevinSmith it’s always good to hear success story’s. You have got passed a major milestone, even though there will be many milestones for you to get to in your journey. The more you pass them the greater your confidence will be, and the benefits they bring. Also that’s pretty great your company gave you a :computer: macbook. I have no clue if that’s normal or not but still that’s great! Granted their gonna make their investment back through your work but still that’s a good sign Congrats, Happy Coding!

Congrates on getting the job your post really helpful me for exploring options

Yeah that’s what I thought when I first started, but I have seen the hard reality now. It’s been now 9 months for me since I started to teach myself how to code.

Same, I thought that by learning React I would get a job easily, now I’m learning the MERN stack and working on my first full stack project, but I realized just like you that this is not a checklist and there’s always more things to learn.

Your third point is a great advice, that is exactly what I’m doing. At first it felt like a race and I was too worried that I was way too far behind, it was stressful. Now I’m just focusing on learning and building.

Great post and very good advices, thanks for sharing. Some of the things you said felt very familiar to me as I have experienced some of those things that you mentioned.

Congrats! Hope you will have a great career!

btw how long did it take you to study all this stuff?

Congrats Kevin,
Even i am also from diffferent career and trying to get into IT industry.Your story is inspirational.

Your story inspired me! Thanks for that) Congratulations!

Good for you. I like the fact that you said, ‘This was not a sprint but a marathon’. A lot of people have this impression that you can become a software developer, web developer in weeks and get a job immediately. That is the impression we get from BOOTCAMPS. No doubt, Your story is very inspirational, whenever I need inspiration I will always remember to revisit your experience.

I am curious, how long did it take you to land this job? Secondly, How long did it took you to start applying for jobs

Thank you for your post, feels good to read that and see that work always finish by paying.
Congratulations for your post.
Keep spreading inspiration to everyone, it helps a lot.

YMMV, of course. I was working hard on learning and building. Then I started apply for jobs at about the 1 year mark. I was still learning and building things and doing meetups but started applying for jobs just to get a feel for it. At about the 1.5 year mark, I started to get serious about applying. At about the 2 year mark I was getting good at interviewing and things started to come together. When I accepted the position I got I was in the final stages with two other companies.

I sincerely think that interviewing and crafting your resume, etc. are an under-appreciated part of this. I summed up my ideas here.

1 Like

Congratulations!
enjoy it