Fired from first developer job

From what it sounds like that was a shitty place to work anyway. Their loss not yours. Keep your head up and pickup where you left off. Keep learning and keep applying. In your next interviews don’t down talk your last employer. Be honest but not hostile. You’ll be alright, don’t quit.

1 Like

I interviewed, got the job but they couldn’t pay enough to start, they’re a startup trying to gain traction. But, I’m doing some freelance contracting with them. This company plus some other freelance work that has come up is adding up to about three months worth of work. Not half bad considering I lost my job last Friday.

1 Like

You’re right, it was horrible. Life is too short to feel bad. I’ve since picked up some freelance work and I’m trucking away happily. I’m not making as much money but I’m in the black and I don’t have to commute. Win!

told you! so happy! seriously though, once you just freelance, you will find that you can just walk away from bad clients, jobs, stakeholders, etc. your stress level will go from 100% to about 30%. i am ballparking but i think that’s where I am at. check out these sites:

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Yeah I think you’re right. As long as I can secure work, I think this is going to be awesome. I have about 3 months lined up - not too shabby considering I’ve been on the market for a week.

Thanks for the links!

Just remember that while you are working on projects you also need to keep searching for new projects to keep you working consistently. Naturally, there are ebbs and flows to it, just keep yourself lined up as much as possible. look at it like how teachers have the summer break no pay thing. Once you are out there enough, you will have people seeking you out and then you won’t have to search at the same time as working. then it turns into you have too many people wanting you that you have to turn down work! That’s the idea anyway.

Yeah I’m definitely on the hunt right now, so to speak. We’ll see how it turns out.

It feels a little crazy to not have a job but being employed obviously imparts a false sense of security, considering I’m in the position I’m in.

Thanks for the advice, it’s good.

Sorry to hear this…but I’ve been there…you’ll run into that from time to time, unfortunately.

This might seems silly but LinkedIn…make sure you have everything up there, connect, and search jobs. There are a lot of recruiters that use LinkedIn and if you keep it updated they will find you. You don’t even have to say you’re looking.

just remember that you can get laid off pretty easily in a job, but you are more stable freelancing, once you get to the point that you are having to turn down work. that’s the tipping point. you can also get a job with anyone in the world if they have remote positions available. some are straight jobs and others are contracts. i like the contracts because you get a wide range of experience over different types of things, which makes one a all-around better dev.