Flatiron Community Powered Bootcamp vs FreeCodeCamp and other free resources

Hi all, I was very close to doing the Flatiron Community Powered Bootcamp (link above), however held off on it because after thinking for a while I figured that FreeCodeCamp probably provides the same experience as long as I use the forums well and interact with others online. I’m very confident in my self-motivation etc. so I’m not worried about losing interest or anything.

Maybe other people have considered this course or even other online self-paced boot-camps and have an opinion on it vs FCC, as it certainly is starting to sound to me that if someone who is self-motivated and can make good use of online networking tools, if a free option like FCC is available, it makes sense to go this route.

Thanks in advance!

I’m doing a mixture of freeCodeCamp and courses at edx.org. They offer a bunch of free courses created by Harvard, MIT, and other top universities, and you have the option to pay a little for a completion certificate. I’m not sure if that’s gonna help in finding a job, but I don’t mind supporting the platform, if nothing else. Besides, $50 for a complete course from MIT is a pretty good deal if you ask me.

I did FlatIron’s promotion a while back where they donated money based on how many lessons you completed, but I didn’t like the feel of the place so I stopped once the charity drive was over. I don’t remember exactly why, but I do remember that I preferred it here.

My goal is just to have a robust experience learning to code, so I’m open to trying different places out. I like freeCodeCamp the best of all the free options. In that regard, I don’t see why you can’t do both freeCodeCamp and FlatIron. Once I’m confident, I’ll probably tackle some of the big certifications from Microsoft and Google, etc.

1 Like

I know, I mean my opinion is FCC makes sense, however I kinda wanted to know what other people thought :slight_smile:

Thanks, and if I could do a bootcamp I probably would, and may even do one down the road. But I appreciate your insight into boot camps as I kinda figured they were some kind of magical zero-job ready program in only 3 months or whatever. However they probably only are if you continue the learning outside of the bootcamp and just see it as a tool to accelerate a portion of your learning.

But I think I’ll use FCC for now, and see how things go. Thanks for the input.

Thanks! I guess one perspective it doesn’t really matter, as long as you learn the things you want to learn, in a way that works for you.

I’m a fan of edx however it seems so crowded on there I find it hard to know what’s best to study. However I’m running through their electronics and circuits course (very slowly) and that’s going well.

I might do a few certifications down the road as well, I know my old desktop support job was pushing me to get a cert, so maybe I’ll get a developer based one.